Saints’ Brees announces intention to return in ’20
Quarterback Drew Brees says he intends to play for the New Orleans Saints again next season.
The 41-year-old Brees announced his intention to return for what would be his 20th NFL season in a social media post on Tuesday.
“My feelings about the 2020 season! I look forward to the grind and the journey, for the reward at the end will be worth it,” Brees wrote in his announcement. “Love you #WhoDatNation. Let’s make another run at it!”
Brees missed five games with a throwing hand injury that required surgery but was still productive last season while leading New Orleans to a third straight playoff appearance. Brees’ 74.3 percent completion rate ranked second in NFL history behind only his 2018 record of 74.4 percent.
He also passed for 27 touchdowns while throwing just four interceptions and was selected to a fourth straight Pro Bowl, the 13th of his career.
Brees’ contract situation remains unclear. His last contract voids automatically at the end of the current league year that concludes March 18.
SOURCE: OLSEN AGREES TO DEAL WITH SEAHAWKS >> A person familiar with the situation says three-time Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen has agreed to a oneyear, $7 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks.
Olsen was released by the Panthers earlier this month after nine seasons with the team amid a rebuilding process under first-year coach Matt Rhule. Olsen has caught 718 passes for 8,444 yards and 59 touchdowns during his 13-year NFL career. He spent his first four seasons with the Chicago Bears.
NEWMAN AWAKE, SPEAKING AFTER HORRIFIC CRASH >> NASCAR driver Ryan Newman is awake and speaking with family and doctors a day after his horrific crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500.
Roush Fenway Racing released an update on its driver, about 20 hours after Newman’s car slammed into the wall at nearly 200 mph, flipped, got T-boned by another car, flipped several more times and skidded to a halt in flames.
Everyone watching feared the worst Monday night and had to wait nearly two hours to learn that Newman’s injuries were not considered lifethreatening. The latest update was more good news for the 42-year driver and 2008 Daytona 500 champion.
BOUWMEESTER BACK IN ST. LOUIS >> Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is back in St. Louis after collapsing on the bench during a game in Anaheim last week and said in a statement that he is “on the road to recovery.”
Bouwmeester, 36, collapsed during the first period of the Feb. 11 game after going into cardiac arrest. He had a cardioverter defibrillator implanted into his chest at UCI Medical Center in Orange County, where he had been hospitalized until returning to St. Louis on Sunday.
In a statement issued by the Blues, Bouwmeester thanked team trainers for both the Blues and Ducks, along with first responders and the medical staff at UCI Medical Center.
PISTONS, GUARD JACKSON AGREE ON BUYOUT >> The Detroit Pistons and Reggie Jackson have agreed on a contract buyout, paving the way for the veteran guard to sign with another team.
Jackson is in the final season of his five-year, $80 million deal he signed in 2015 with the Pistons.
The 29-year-old Jackson
is averaging 14.9 points and 5.1 assists this season.
CINCINNATI COACH JAN RESIGNS AMID INVESTIGATION >> FC Cincinnati coach Ron Jans resigned amid an investigation by Major League Soccer of his use of a racial slur in the locker room.
Jans resigned late Monday, FC Cincinnati President Jeff Berding said. The club had suspended Jans pending the investigation, which was prompted by a complaint from the MLS Players Association.
The club designated Yoann Damet as interim head coach while the team conducts a search.
KENIN LOSES OPENING MATCH IN DUBAI >> Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin lost her opening match at the Dubai Championships as Elena Rybakina rallied to beat the American 6-7 (2), 6-3, 6-3.
The fifth-seeded Kenin was playing her first WTA Tour event since earning her maiden Grand Slam title and then helping the United States reach the Fed Cup final. She broke Rybakina in her opening service game but the Kazakh player held serve the rest of the way to earn her third career win over a top10 ranked player.
CHINA FORFEITS DAVIS CUP TIE IN ROMANIA DUE TO VIRUS >> China forfeited a Davis Cup tie because its men’s team cannot travel to Romania next month.
The International Tennis Federation cited “increased restrictions in response to the current coronavirus outbreak” for the decision.
NFC quarterback Drew Brees, of the Saints, looks to pass during the Pro Bowl on Jan. 26 in Orlando, Fla.