Waterfront Weekend hands out $32K to local non-profits
There were smiles and hugs aplenty during Tuesday’s Vallejo City Council meeting as The Waterfront Weekend group presented a total of $32,000 to 12 different local non-profits.
Surrounded by all seven councilors, representatives from each non-profit came up and accepted a ceremonial check from Jon Riley, chair of The Waterfront Weekend, and executive director of the Napa and Solano Counties Central Labor Council.
The donations included:
• Spinal Care Injury Active Network- $6,200
• Florence Douglas Center$4,500
• Vallejo Community Access Television- $5,300
• Friends of Loma Vista Farms- $2,000
• Mare Island Historic Park Foundation- $2,000
• Midsi Sanchez Foundation$2,000
• Rebuilding Together Solano County- $2,000
• Solano County Fair$2,000
• Solutions for At-risk
• Vallejo Community Arts Foundation- $2,000
• Vallejo Shakespeare In The Park- $2,000
• Genesis House- $1,000 donation
“We consider this the perfect fit for the Vallejo community,” Riley said. “We put on a wonderful event that highlights what we have to offer in the city of Vallejo; both on our waterfront and on Mare Island.”
Now in its seventh year, the two-day festival, held during the first weekend in October, features a whaleboat regatta, car show, Glo-Run, dunk tank/ splash chair, chili cook-off, petting farm, Ducky Derby, and beer garden. There is also live music each day.
Riley said that the group is now accepting proposals from non-profit beneficiaries for this year’s event.
“The Vallejo Waterfront Weekend supports all nonprofits, but this year our committee is looking specifically for 501 (C) 3 organizations needing financial assistance to make a large impact on the Vallejo community, whether through your organization or to complete a project,” according a news release from the group. “Requirements include active involvement in planning for the 2020 Vallejo Waterfront Weekend event, providing volunteer assistance during the actual event, and your organization is in the city of Vallejo.”
No more than eight organizations will be chosen this year, officials said.
To apply to be a 2020 Beneficiary, visit www. vallejowaterfrontweekend.com, or call (707) 7386964 to request a Beneficiary Proposal Form, due by March 31. Beneficiaries will be selected by April 15.
In other news, the council also presented several proclamations, including:
• Recognizing February 2020 as Black History Month
• Recognizing the 100th Anniversary of the Founding of the League of Women Voters
• Presentation of a Proclamation declaring Feb. 25, 2020 as “World Spay Day.”
Jon Riley, chair of the Waterfront Weekend, at the podium presents a $2,000check to the Solano County Fair during Tuesday’s Vallejo City Council meeting.