CIF de­lays fi­nal de­ci­sion on fate of spring sports

CIF de­cides to de­lay an­nounce­ment, will meet again on April 3 to de­cide next step

Times-Herald (Vallejo) - - FRONT PAGE - By Thomas Gase tgase@timesher­al­don­ @tga­sevth on Twit­ter

Sec­tion com­mis­sion­ers meet with CIF, de­cide to wait un­til April 3 to de­cide if sea­sons will con­tinue.

With the spread of COVID-19 af­fect­ing thou­sands of peo­ple each day, the Cal­i­for­nia In­ter­scholas­tic Fed­er­a­tion (CIF) de­cided to do the same thing most ev­ery­one else is do­ing right now — sit back and wait.

Vallejo, Jesse Bethel, St. Pa­trick-St. Vin­cent, Beni­cia, Amer­i­can Canyon high schools all be­long to the North Coast Sec­tion.

On Tues­day the 10 sec­tion com­mis­sion­ers met with the CIF in Sacra­mento and in­stead of mak­ing a de­ci­sion on how to han­dle the rest of the high school sports spring sea­son, the de­ci­sion was de­layed as it will wait two more weeks, un­til April 3, un­til mov­ing for­ward.

In a press re­lease sent Tues­day af­ter­noon Ron No­cetti, CIF Ex­ec­u­tive Di­rec­tor, wrote the fol­low­ing:

“While the time may come when we have to can­cel post-sea­son events, to­day is not that day. In an­tic­i­pa­tion of fur­ther guid­ance and di­rec­tives is­sued by fed­eral, state and lo­cal gov­ern­ment agen­cies re­gard­ing COVID-19, the CIF has not de­ter­mined the fu­ture of spring sports events at this time and in­tends to re­con­vene with the 10 Sec­tion Com­mis­sion­ers on April 3 to re­visit this is­sue.

“Pend­ing that time, Sec­tions will con­tinue to con­fer with their lo­cal lead­er­ship and the State CIF will con­tinue to mon­i­tor any di­rec­tives and rec­om­men­da­tions is­sued from the above en­ti­ties,” No­cetti con­tin­ued. “The CIF will con­tinue to work with our schools and school dis­tricts with the

health and well-be­ing of stu­dent-ath­letes and school com­mu­ni­ties as our pri­or­ity. Ad­di­tion­ally, the orig­i­nally sched­uled April 3, 2020, CIF Fed­er­ated Coun­cil Meet­ing has been post­poned and will be resched­uled no ear­lier than May 8, 2020 and will be held via tele­con­fer­ence.”

Josh Ramos, the Vallejo High ath­letic di­rec­tor and head base­ball coach, was still in hope that some games could be played in the spring when he talked to the Times-Her­ald on Tues­day morn­ing.

“Hope­fully we can have some sort of reg­u­lar sea­son in April or May and let the se­niors have some games,” Ramos said. “Maybe just a league tour­na­ment.”

St. Pa­trick-St. Vin­cent High soft­ball coach Rich Gigliotti was happy with the an­nounce­ment.

“I don’t know if I was sur­prised, but def­i­nitely happy they waited,” the Bru­ins coach said. “With the NCS (North Coast Sec­tion) and the Tri-County

Ath­letic League, we go un­til the end of May usu­ally, so it would be re­ally nice to wait and see if we can get a han­dle on this virus and then go from there. I’m happy we’re wait­ing.”

Like Ramos, Gigliotti thinks the sea­son is too com­pressed to have makeup dates, but would like to see some games played this year, if any­thing, for the se­niors.

“Even if we don’t get in another league game, it would be nice to have a league tour­na­ment for the se­niors,” Gigliotti said. “We don’t have too many of them, but they’ve all gone to school here for four years. You know the coaches will be here af­ter this is over, but the se­niors, they’re all go­ing to col­lege af­ter this. So it would be nice to have some games to cel­e­brate their ca­reers.”

St. Pat’s head girls and boys volleyball coach Danette Dome­cus was also happy to see a de­lay but not a can­cel­la­tion.

“I was sur­prised, but it’s a good thing,” Dome­cus said. “What­ever they de­cide, I’m just glad they are not clos­ing it all up. The Gover­nor

says this is sup­posed to last un­til May or pos­si­bly even Au­gust, so it’s just su­per sad for the se­niors.”

Dome­cus said her boys team con­sists of four se­niors, two of which have played on the team for four years. Al­though school is not in ses­sion on cam­pus at St. Pat’s un­til at least March 27, the stu­dents are tak­ing classes from home.

“I told the play­ers the fo­cus should be on the stud­ies and stay­ing safe, but also try to get some con­di­tion­ing in if you can,” Dome­cus said. “They’re just all itch­ing to play again. One of them asked if they could all get to­gether to prac­tice and I said (while laugh­ing), ‘No!! That’s the whole point of us keep­ing dis­tance right now!”

In other news, the CIF an­nounced that its of­fice will be closed from March 18 un­til March 27 and that all staff will be work­ing from home re­motely, but that they can be reached by email.

For more in­for­ma­tion visit https://www.cif­s­tate. org.


The Beni­cia High base­ball team cel­e­brates in May 2019 af­ter win­ning a North Coast Sec­tion ti­tle with a vic­tory over Maria Car­rillo.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.