Carbon monoxide (CO) is a potentially deadly gas produced any time a carbon-based fuel (such as gasoline, propane, charcoal, or oil) burns. Sources include gasoline engines, generators, cooking ranges, and space heaters. Carbon monoxide is undetectable — it has no color, no odor, no taste; it causes no respiratory irritation, and it mixes evenly with the air.
Victims of CO poisoning usually aren’t aware they’re being exposed to the deadly gas and become impaired in ways that can lead to death. Symptoms include light-headedness, dizziness, headaches, nausea, confusion, and vomiting. Prolonged exposure to low concentrations of CO, or very short exposure to high concentrations, can lead to death.
USRider urges all equestrian travelers to take precautions to avoid CO poisoning. Use only factory-installed, well-maintained heating units. Avoid using a stove for heat under any circumstances. Install a CO detector in any trailer that has gas appliances. Be aware of the risks, ensure sufficient ventilation, and properly install and maintain equipment.
CLIXPHOTO.COM As we head into cooler months, avoid using a stove to heat your trailer while on the road. Use only factory-installed, well-maintained heating units, advises USRider.