Turning on the lights
The hue of the Blue Dome District has been enhanced. Workers last month completed the $1.09 million replacement and addition of 150 blue-hooded lights throughout the district.
“It's great,” said O.C. Walker, executive director of the Tulsa Development Authority. “What it really does is bring an identity to the area.
“It makes some synergy and gives it a sense of arrival.”
After hearing from stakeholders who wanted to encourage development and walkability in the area, TDA first approved the use of public funds for the lights in 2013.
“They were looking at everything that was happening in the Brady District and it was like, `How can we build some momentum over here?' ”
The city of Tulsa contracted Crossland Heavy Contractors to do the work, which replaced the acorn-style street lamps. The job was funded through the Blue Dome Tax Increment Financing District, which was created in 2003 to stimulate development in a nine-block area.
TIF districts use sales tax generated in a specific area to construct improvement projects.
The Blue Dome District, named for the 1924 Blue Dome Building at Second Street and Elgin Avenue, is known for its watering holes and restaurants, including McNellie's, Dilly Diner, Fassler Hall, Albert G's and Arnie's.
The area's newest addition is the $20 million Hotel Indigo, which opened this week. Located on Elgin Avenue between First and Second streets, the 93-room boutique hotel contains art and artifacts that pay homage to blue-collar and oil-field workers who frequented the Blue Dome District about a century ago.
Peacemaker Lobster & Crab Co., 313 E. Second St., opened in September in the Blue Dome District.
New streetlights modeled after the Blue Dome building at Second Street and Elgin Avenue have been installed in the Blue Dome District in downtown Tulsa.