Between 1829 and 1865, George and Mary Lucy transformed much of Charlecote, inspired by the Elizabethan revival style.
Visitors to Charlecote Park today can see the servants’ quarters, including these Victorian bells, which the Lucy family used to summon staff. The kitchen, laundry, scullery and brew house are all open, as well as the coach-house and stables.
THE LUCY FAMILY TOMB
St Leonard’s Church, on the edge of Charlecote Park, was built for Mary Elizabeth Lucy and houses the Lucy family tomb. John Gibson designed the church, and the first stone was laid by Mrs. Lucy in April 1850.
The forested landscape that occupied much of Charlecote Park when the house was built in the 1550s, was opened up in the 17th century. The forest slowly disappeared as the park turned into a deer park. Fallow deer still roam the land today.