Walker County Messenger - - Front Page -

tree limbs — can be burned and only if that ma­te­rial is piled by hand; no heavy ma­chin­ery can be used. And it is ad­vised that tools such as a shovel, wa­ter and a tele­phone should al­ways be on hand when burn­ing and that a fire should never be left unat­tended.

“Es­caped de­bris burns re­main the num­ber one cause of wild­fires in our state, and it may be nec­es­sary and wise to de­lay or post­pone open burn­ing if lo­cal conditions are un­fa­vor­able,” Sor­rells said.

While some protest any gov­ern­ment reg­u­la­tion of open burn­ing, those who choose not to ob­tain per­mits can face fines and hefty bills.

Peo­ple have found that pick­ing up a tele­phone and ob­tain­ing a per­mit is not only easy, it can save money.

Forestry Divi­sion crews, with­out charge, will help ex­tin­guish per­mit­ted fires that get out of con­trol.

But if there is no per­mit, the per­son who started the fire can be charged for the use of fire­fight­ers time and ma­te­rial — some­thing of­fi­cials say can be very ex­pen­sive if ae­rial sup­port is re­quired.

Burn per­mits may be ob­tained 24 hours a day by call­ing 1-877-OK2-BURN (1877-652-2876) or on­line at GaTrees.org. No burn per­mits are is­sued in­side the city lim­its of Chicka­mauga, LaFayette, Look­out Moun­tain or Rossville.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.