Couse-sharp Historic Site
The 2.3-acre Couse-sharp Historic Site includes the remarkably well-preserved home and studio of Eanger Irving Couse, the garden designed by his wife, Virginia, the workshops of his son, Kibbey, and the two studios of his neighbor Joseph Henry Sharp. Sharp and Couse were two of the founding members of the Taos Society of Artists. The site’s summer-fall exhibition in the
Luna Chapel will be Full Circle: Taos Pueblo Contemporary, featuring a dozen local Native artists who will have their work for sale. The show runs July 7 through November 3; they will also have five artist demonstrations and lectures in conjunction with First Saturday open houses June through October.
“The TSA was inspired by the art of
Taos Pueblo and a goal in their charter was
‘to preserve and promote the Native Art,’” says Davison Koenig, the site’s executive director and curator. “Many of the TSA artists developed lifelong friendships with their Native models and became strong advocates for Native rights and sovereignty. Full Circle honors those relationships and the artists from Taos Pueblo who continue to redefine Native art and identity.”
By May, the site will have refreshed their permanent rotating exhibition in Sharp’s
1915 studio, J. H. Sharp: The Life and Work of an American Legend, featuring dozens of his paintings, ephemera and items from his extensive collection of Native art.
146 Kit Carson Road, Taos, NM 87571 (575) 751-0369 www.couse-sharp.org email@example.com
Joseph Henry Sharp’s 1915 Studio, restored in 2017. Photo by Tony Donaldson.
Couse-sharp Historic Site, Cottonwoods, Cedar and Sage – Taos Canyon, oil on canvas, 26 x 30", by Joseph Henry Sharp (18591953). On loan from Don and Elenita Barker, purchased from the Robert L. Parsons Gallery, Taos.
Couse-sharp Historic Site, Sunlight/sunshine, 1918, oil on canvas, 24 x 29", by Eanger Irving Couse (1866-1936). Recent gift of Jean Hillman family.