PALACE OF FINE ARTS
Originally designed for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition, this domed rotunda is all that remains from eight identical structures built to show the world that San Francisco had risen from the ashes after the devastating 1906 earthquake. The world’s fair honored the completion of the Panama Canal, and the construction of the Palace of Fine Arts turned the dilapidated Marina District into an exhibit of architectural beauty. Featuring a lagoon with swans, today this is a popular spot to stroll and take photos. 3301 Lyon St., 415.567.6642.