Women's Health (USA)
Gochujang Shrimp and Cabbage Stew
TOTAL: 35 MIN
1 cup Forbidden (black) Rice or medium grain rice
3 to 4 gochujang (Korean Tbsp chile paste)
1 Tbsp avocado oil or other neutral oil
1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces, pale pieces halved lengthwise
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small head or 1/2 large head napa cabbage (about 12 oz), leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
1 bunch Broccolini, long stems thinly sliced and tops cut into large florets
1 lb large peeled and deveined shrimp
⅓ cup basil, roughly chopped
1. Cook rice per package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together gochujang and 2 cups warm water to dissolve.
3. Heat oil in a large, straight-sided saucepan on medium. Add pepper and cook, tossing for 3 minutes.
4. Increase heat to high and add scallions and garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cabbage and cook, tossing, 1 minute. Stir in gochujang broth and bring to a steady simmer.
5. Layer Broccolini on top of cabbage mixture, then scatter shrimp on top of that. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Flip shrimp and simmer, covered, until shrimp are opaque throughout and Broccolini is just tender, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in basil and serve over rice.
Per serving: 361 cal, 6.5 g fat (0.5 g sat), 24 g protein, 1,524 mg sodium, 56 g carb, 10.5 g sugars (0 g added sugars), 7 g fiber