A case by any other name

- —Rick Penley Hickory, N.C.

In the Hanging Display Cabinet article in issue 273, you referred to the frame of the project as a “carcase.” I worked in case-good furniture plants for 40 years and believe the word you were looking for is “carcass,” as in the bare bones of a piece of furniture.

Both spellings are acceptable in a woodworkin­g usage, Rick. We’ve always used the UK-preferred “carcase” to avoid subconscio­us comparison­s of our project plans to roadkill.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States