What to do if you’re wor­ried:

Working Mother - - Home Front -

• Trust your gut and visit the Cen­ters for Dis­ease Con­trol and Preven­tion’s Mile­stone Tracker to get fa­mil­iar with the types of in­ter­ven­tions avail­able.

• Ask your child’s pe­di­a­tri­cian or teacher about how to get a free

eval­u­a­tion. “It is a very com­pre­hen­sive as­sess­ment, and it is usu­ally ef­fec­tive at iden­ti­fy­ing if there is a clin­i­cal prob­lem,” ex­plains Cather­ine Pearl­man, Ph.D.

• Talk to school ad­min­is­tra­tors. If your child is school age and qual­i­fies for spe­ciale­d­u­ca­tion ser­vices, pub­lic schools must cre­ate an in­di­vid­u­al­ized ed­u­ca­tion pro­gram (IEP), and this may in­volve funded ther­a­pies.

• Reach out to a nearby teach­ing hos­pi­tal or univer­sity if cost is a con­cern. “Uni­ver­si­ties that pro­vide clin­i­cal psy­chol­ogy doc­toral de­grees are a good re­source for fam­i­lies be­cause they will usu­ally have a com­mu­nity clinic where grad­u­ate stu­dents prac­tice,” says Kristin Carothers, Ph.D., a clin­i­cal psy­chol­o­gist. “Fam­i­lies can go there for care that’s high qual­ity and also af­ford­able.” • Other re­sources: Early Child­hood Tech­ni­cal As­sis­tance Cen­ter (ecta cen­ter.org/fam­i­lies.asp); IDEA In­fant & Tod­dler Co­or­di­na­tors As­so­ci­a­tion (ideain­fant­tod­dler.org) and Un­der­stood (un­der stood.org)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.