THE ARTS IN YUMA
The arts are embraced inYuma.Whether it’s dance,music,theater or visual arts, you’ll find something that satisfies your interests.
Yuma’s rich cultural diversity provides the background for multiple celebrations that demonstrate the wide artistic efforts of various cultures.We celebrate the culture of Native Americans,African Americans, Mexican Americans and any other ethnicity that has contributed to the American culture.Our range goes from historical to today to the future.
The City of Yuma advances the arts by providing distinct opportunities for community participation and artistic growth.Advocacy is strengthened by working with the City of Yuma
Arts & Culture Commission, Public Art Committee, and Performing Arts Committee.The city manages the operations of the Yuma Art Center, which is the catalyst for artistic growth in our community.Your visit won’t be complete until you visit these great venues.
Since 1980,Yuma Community Theater has served area residents who enjoy onstage comedy, drama and musical productions.Throughout its history,its actors and members have been residents of the area whose sole interest has been preserving and promoting live theater.
For more information about upcoming productions, call (928) 919-4876 or visit www.yumacommunitytheater.org.
Every year,Yuma-area residents look forward to performances by Ballet Yuma and Yuma Ballet Theatre. For more information about upcoming performances,visit www.balletyuma.org andwww.yumaballettheatre.org.
YUMA JAZZ COMPANY
Yuma is home to the Yuma Jazz Company, an award-winning professional instrumental jazz group that has released original CDs and has been reviewed by national media.
It performs regularly at local venues, and this year marks the 11th season of its Village Jazz Series,a weekly series of free concerts held in the Village area of the Yuma Palms Regional Center.
For more information, visit www.yumajazz.com.
YUMA ORCHESTRA ASSOCIATION
The Yuma Orchestra Association, which has promoted string music in the Yuma area since 1976, will present a variety of ensemble performances by youth musicians of various ages.
For more information, go to www.yumaorchestra.org., or call 928-246-6715.
The Territorial Chapter of the Arizona Old Time Fiddlers has performance jams at various locations and times.All performances are free and open to the public. For more information, call Dennis Russell at 928-750-3201.
YUMA ART CENTER
254 S. Main St. 928.373.5202 www.yumaaz.gov
Hours: 10am to 8pm Tuesday-Saturday, Closed Sunday and Monday
City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Department operates and maintains the Yuma Art Center, which features the 640-seat Historic Yuma Theatre.The Yuma Art Center and Historic Yuma Theatre are in the heart of historic downtown Yuma. These locations offer a wide variety of special events for adults and families, with features that include:
• Four visual art galleries
• Classrooms and artist studios
• Black and white photography darkroom
• Pottery studio
• Gift shop with unique objects for collecting and giving
• 640-seat Historic Theatre
The Yuma Art Center and Historic Yuma Theatre are great places to meet people or to have business and private gatherings,meetings, wedding receptions and holiday parties.
HISTORIC YUMA THEATRE
254 S. Main St. 928-373-5202 www.yumaaz.gov
The Historic Yuma Theatre is managed by the City of Yuma with events occurring year-round,including original film screenings, community theater productions, Saturday children’s matinees,Arizona Historical Society tours and film series, jazz festivals,art symposiums,education workshops, graduation ceremonies, choir concerts,and special events and presentations in connection with downtown mall events.
The Historic Yuma Theatre is available for lectures, film showings, demonstrations, presentations, seminars, artist-inresidence programs, and other education gatherings.
For more information or to inquire about renting the Historic Yuma Theatre, contact the Yuma Art Center, 928-373-5202.
DANCE COMPANIES, STUDIOS AND VENUES IN THE YUMA AREA:
• Ballet Yuma, (928) 314-4762
• Dance Etc., (928) 783-4194
• Dancemakers,(928) 783-7754
• Dancers Workshop, (928) 314-3262
• Dawn’s Dance Studio, (928) 329-6858
• Golden Roadrunners,(928) 343-1086
• Jazz of Yuma, (928) 329-6858
• Square Dance Hall & Boutique, (928) 344-1969
• Yuma Ballet Academy, (928) 314-4762
• Yuma Ballet Theatre and Performing Arts, (928) 341-1925
• Yuma Square & Round Dance Association
MUSIC GROUPS AND STUDIOS IN THE YUMA AREA:
• AWC Chamber Singers, (928) 344-7574
• AWC Yuma Youth Choir, (928) 317-6019
• Cactus Keys Piano Studio, (928) 782-0680
• Cibola High School Performing Choir, (928) 783-7837
• Kindermusic,(928) 782-9941
• Kofa High School Royalaires,(928) 7265750
• String Ambassadors, (928) 726-7799
• Sunset Barbershop Chorus, (928) 3176019
• Sweet Adelines, (928) 317-6019
• Yuma Chorale, (928) 344-7574
• Yuma Jazz Company, (928) 345-1534
• Yuma Orchestra Association, (928) 2466715
• A Leap of Faith Performing Art Academy, (928) 783-3303
• AWC Theater, (928) 344-7592
• Desert Point Productions, www.desertpointe.org; [email protected]sertpointe. org
• 5 Point Theatre Company, (928) 2464318, or email [email protected]hoo-com
• Historic Yuma Theatre, (928) 3735202
• Yuma Community Theater, (928) 9194876
VISUAL ARTS ORGANIZATIONS:
• AWC Student Art Gallery, (928) 317-6000
• Desert Artists of Yuma, (928) 342-3953
• Mountain Shadow Artists, (928) 342-6587
• North End Artists’ Co-operative, [email protected] hotmail.com
• Potpourri Artists, (928) 345-0243
• Village Art Gallery, (928) 341-0039
• Yuma Art Center, (928) 373-5202
• Yuma Fine Arts Association, (928) 329-6607
• Yuma Art Symposium Inc., (928) 782-1934
Wide-open spaces and a mild climate during most of the year make for ideal conditions for outdoor activities.
It’s right here in Yuma. From exploring nature to challenging your athletic skills, Yuma has what you need. Check out these activities.
The City of Yuma operates three public swimming facilities and shares a fourth with the Yuma Union High School District.
City of Yuma
Phone: 928-373-5243 http://www.yumaaz.gov/parks-andrecreation/parks/swimming-poolsand-water-features.html
Those with open swim times are:
VALLEY AQUATIC CENTER
4381 W. 18th Street
This center offers both a competition pool and a leisure pool.The competition pool is 25 yards by 110 feet and the leisure pool is 5,972 square feet.
Concessions are available.
23rd Street and Kennedy Lane (accessed from 24th Street)
The Kennedy Pool is 50 meters by 65 feet with a 212-foot slide and a separate 2400-square-foot leisure pool.
5th Street and 5th Avenue
(545 W. 5th Street)
Marcus Pool is 25 meters by 25 yards with an 800-square-foot leisure pool.
Open swim hours are based on availability and vary throughout the year. To learn current hour and rates call 928.373.5243.
NATURAL SWIMMING LOCATIONS
For those looking for a more natural location, try these opportunities:
• Gateway Park
• Senator Wash
• Squaw Lake
• Mittry Lake
For detailed information, see the ‘On The Water’ section.
WALKING SMUCKER PARK
Avenue A south of 24th Street
This park features a paved, measured walking path with fitness stations.
The multi-use paths along the riverfront and the East Main Canal also serve as walking courses.
For more, go to http://www. yumaaz.gov/parks-and-recreation/parks/paths-andtrails.html
Visitors have access to four tennis complexes in Yuma.They are:
JAMES DEYO ATHLETIC COMPLEX
Avenue A & 36th Street, Adjacent to Desert Sun Stadium
Featuring nine lighted tennis courts including an exhibition court and two practice courts, this center offers the right place for a great tennis experience.
5th Street & 13th Avenue Lighted courts.
CIBOLA HIGH SCHOOL
20th Street west of Avenue C
Unlighted – Availability subject to school schedule.
YUMA HIGH SCHOOL
4th Street & 5th Avenue
Unlighted – Availability subject to school schedule.
Golf is popular in Yuma, and still affordable.The large number of courses per capita keeps prices about half of comparable courses in Phoenix.Take advantage of these great rates and try them all.
The variety of courses assures each visitor the opportunity to find the par that meets the talents.
If you are into the championship variety,check out the course at Mesa Del Sol, designed by Arnold Palmer, or the Desert Hills Municipal Golf Course,rated one of the best munis in Arizona.
If you’re into golf, you need to be in Yuma!