Yuma Sun - Visiting In Yuma - - NEWS -

Are you plan­ning to make your first visit to Los Al­go­dones, Baja Calif., or San Luis Rio Colorado, Son.?

Here are some tips to make your visit eas­ier and more sat­is­fy­ing:

• If you only want shop for sou­venirs or pur­chase med­i­ca­tion in Los Al­go­dones, Baja Calif., or San Luis Rio Colorado, Son., you may find it eas­ier to park on the U.S. side of the bor­der and walk across the bor­der.Phar­ma­cies,med­i­cal of­fices, cu­rios shops,liquor stores and other busi­nesses pop­u­lar with tourists typ­i­cally are lo­cated along the streets near the bor­der.

• When shop­ping for items sold by street ven­dors,don’t hes­i­tate to ne­go­ti­ate prices.But be re­al­is­tic in your counter of­fer.

• If a mer­chant won’t give you the price you want, see if you can get a bet­ter deal from an­other ven­dor, who, chances are,will be of­fer­ing the same or sim­i­lar mer­chan­dise.

• The le­gal drink­ing age in Mex­ico is 18 years.

• Ari­zona res­i­dents 21 years of age and older can re­turn from Mex­ico through the U.S.Port of En­try at San Luis,Ariz.,with one 1-liter bot­tle of al­co­hol ev­ery 30 days.

• Trav­el­ers who are not Cal­i­for­nia res­i­dents but who live in the United States can bring more than one 1-liter bot­tle ev­ery 30 days through the U.S.Port of En­try at An­drade, Calif., although they will be charged duty.They must be at least 21 years of age.

• Do not bring a firearm or am­mu­ni­tion with you to Mex­ico. If caught, you will go to jail and your ve­hi­cle will be seized.

• When re­turn­ing from vis­its to Mex­ico, U.S. cit­i­zens must present a U.S. pass­port book, pass­port card, en­hanced driver’s li­cense or Trusted Trav­eler Pro­gram card to of­fi­cers at U.S. ports of en­try.

• A U.S. pass­port book is used for travel by air,land or by sea.A pass­port card can be pre­sented when re­turn to the United State through a land or sea port, but not at an air­port.

• Cana­dian cit­i­zens re­turn­ing from vis­its to Mex­ico can present a valid Cana­dian pass­port, en­hanced driver’s li­cense or Trusted Trav­eler Pro­gram card.

• For Mex­ico travel ad­vi­sories, visit the U.S. State Depart­ment web­site at https://­tent/travel/en.html

• If you’re plan­ning to go south of the bor­der with $10,000 or more in cur­rency or checks, you will need to de­clare it by com­plet­ing a form FinCEN 105. Fail­ure to do so could re­sult in the cur­rency’s seizure, ac­cord­ing to U.S. Cus­toms and Bor­der Pro­tec­tion (CBP).

• If you drive across the bor­der to Los Al­go­dones, you’ll need to re­turn be­fore 10 p.m. Pa­cific Stan­dard Time, un­less you’re plan­ning to stay the night. Hours of op­er­a­tion of the U.S. Port of En­try at An­drade, Calif., next to Los Al­go­dones is 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

• The bor­der cross­ing at San Luis Rio Colorado is open 24 hours a day.

• When plan­ning your vis­its across the bor­der, you can go to a CBP web­site to find out the av­er­age waits times to re­turn to the United States through any of the ports of en­try on the Mex­i­can bor­der.

The site is in­dex.html.

• CBP also has a bor­der wait time app that you can down­load for free from Ap­ple’s App Store and Google Play.

• If you drive across the bor­der to San Luis Rio Colorado, your wait in line to re­turn will be faster if you’re a par­tic­i­pant in the U.S. Cus­toms and Bor­der Pro­tec­tion’s SENTRI pro­gram. SENTRI – acro­nym for Se­cure Elec­tronic Net­work for Trav­el­ers Rapid In­spec­tion – al­lows for ex­pe­dited bor­der cross­ing by low-risk trav­el­ers whose have un­der­gone rig­or­ous back­ground checks and in­ter­views. For in­for­ma­tion about SENTRI, visit


www.los­al­go­dones. com/

Hours for U.S. Post of En­try: Mon-Sun: 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. (Pa­cific Time) 760.572.0089

Los Al­go­dones, lo­cated just seven miles west of Yuma on In­ter­state 8, is a com­mu­nity of 15,000. From Yuma, take In­ter­state 8 west to the An­drade exit (Route 186). Turn left and pro­ceed south ap­prox­i­mately two miles. In the past, a lim­ited amount of road­side park­ing was avail­able, but the Cal­i­for­nia High­way Pa­trol no longer al­lows park­ing here.The Quechan In­dian Tribe op­er­ates a paved and lighted pay park­ing lot on the U.S.side.It’s just a short walk across the bor­der and di­rectly in the tourist area.

For more in­for­ma­tion,visit www.los­al­go­


www.go­to­ http://www.san­ Hours for the U.S. Port of En­try: Open 24 hours 928-627-8854

San Luis Rio Colorado, Son., lo­cated about 25 miles south­west of Yuma is a city of about 150,000. In the down­town com­mer­cial dis­trict im­me­di­ately south of the bor­der,vis­i­tors will find a va­ri­ety of cu­rios shops,phar­ma­cies,med­i­cal and den­tal of­fices and restau­rants, all within walk­ing dis­tance from the bor­der.

To get to San Luis Rio Colorado, you can fol­low U.S. High­way 95 from Yuma, or take State High­way 195 from Yuma.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.