Na­tion & World Glance

Yuma Sun - - OPINION -

MADISON, Wis. — The in­com­ing Demo­cratic gover­nor of Wisconsin said Wed­nes­day that he plans to make a per­sonal ap­peal to his de­feated ri­val, Gov. Scott Walker, to veto far­reach­ing GOP leg­is­la­tion that would strip the new ad­min­is­tra­tion of some pow­ers. If that doesn’t work, he might sue.

Wisconsin Repub­li­cans pushed through protests, in­ter­nal dis­agree­ment and Demo­cratic op­po­si­tion to pass the bills af­ter an all­night ses­sion. The mea­sures would shift power to the GOP-con­trolled Leg­is­la­ture and weaken the authority of the of­fice Repub­li­cans will lose in Jan­uary.

“The will of the peo­ple has of­fi­cially been ig­nored by the Leg­is­la­ture,” Gov.elect Tony Evers said, adding that the law­mak­ers’ ac­tions “take us back to Nov. 6,” be­fore the elec­tion was fi­nal­ized.

“Wisconsin should be em­bar­rassed by this,” Evers said.

He said he will talk to Walker as soon as the bills reach his desk and that if he can­not per­suade the gover­nor to veto the pro­pos­als, he will con­sider law­suits and any other op­tion “to make sure that this leg­is­la­tion does not get into prac­tice.”

TORONTO — Cana­dian au­thor­i­ties said Wed­nes­day that they have ar­rested the chief fi­nan­cial of­fi­cer of China’s Huawei Tech­nolo­gies for pos­si­ble ex­tra­di­tion to the United States.

Jus­tice De­part­ment spokesman Ian McLeod said Meng Wanzhou was detained in Van­cou­ver, Bri­tish Columbia, on Satur­day.

McLeod said a pub­li­ca­tion ban had been im­posed in the case and he could not pro­vide fur­ther de­tails. The ban was sought by Meng, who has a bail hear­ing Fri­day, he said.

The Wall Street Jour­nal re­ported ear­lier this year that U.S. au­thor­i­ties are in­ves­ti­gat­ing whether Chi­nese tech giant Huawei vi­o­lated sanc­tions on Iran.

In­ter­nal Facebook doc­u­ments re­leased by a U.K. par­lia­men­tary com­mit­tee of­fer the clear­est ev­i­dence yet that the so­cial net­work has used its enor­mous trove of user data as a com­pet­i­tive weapon, of­ten in ways de­signed to keep its users in the dark.

Par­lia­ment’s me­dia com­mit­tee ac­cused Facebook on Wed­nes­day of cut­ting spe­cial deals with some app de­vel­op­ers to give them more ac­cess to data, while ic­ing out oth­ers that it viewed as po­ten­tial ri­vals.

In other doc­u­ments, com­pany ex­ec­u­tives dis­cussed how they were keep­ing the com­pany’s col­lec­tion and ex­ploita­tion of user data from its users. That in­cluded qui­etly col­lect­ing the call records and text mes­sages of users of phones that run on Google’s An­droid op­er­at­ing sys­tem with­out ask­ing their per­mis­sion. The U.K. com­mit­tee re­leased more than 200 pages of doc­u­ments on the tech giant’s in­ter­nal dis­cus­sions about the value of users’ per­sonal in­for­ma­tion. While they mostly cover the pe­riod be­tween 2012 and 2015 —the first three years af­ter Facebook went pub­lic — they of­fer a rare glimpse into the com­pany’s in­ner work­ings and the ex­tent to which it used peo­ple’s data to make money while pub­licly vow­ing to pro­tect their pri­vacy.

The com­pany’s crit­ics said the new rev­e­la­tions re­in­forced their con­cerns over what users ac­tu­ally know about how Facebook treats their data.

2 US war­planes crash off Ja­pan; 1 res­cued, 6 miss­ing

TOKYO — A Marine re­fu­el­ing plane and a fighter jet crashed into the Pa­cific Ocean off Ja­pan’s south­west­ern coast af­ter a midair col­li­sion early Thurs­day, and res­cuers found one of the seven crew mem­bers in sta­ble con­di­tion while search­ing for the oth­ers, of­fi­cials said.

The U.S. Marine Corps said that the 2 a.m. crash in­volved an F/A-18 fighter jet and a KC-130 re­fu­el­ing air­craft dur­ing reg­u­lar train­ing af­ter the planes took off from their base in Iwakuni, near Hiroshima in western Ja­pan.

The crash took place 200 miles off the coast.

Ja­pan’s De­fense Min­istry said the air­craft car­ry­ing seven crew mem­bers in to­tal col­lided and crashed into the sea south of the Muroto Cape on Shikoku is­land in south­west­ern Ja­pan.

The Mar­itime Self-De­fense Force, which dis­patched air­craft and ves­sels to join in the search op­er­a­tion, said Ja­panese res­cuers found one of the crew mem­bers in sta­ble con­di­tion. The Marine Corps said the res­cued crew was taken to a hospi­tal at its base in Iwakuni and was be­ing treated, but did not pro­vide any other de­tails.

Bor­der Pa­trol agent charged with cap­i­tal mur­der in Texas

DAL­LAS — A U.S. Bor­der Pa­trol agent has been charged with cap­i­tal mur­der af­ter telling in­ves­ti­ga­tors he killed four sex work­ers whom he con­sid­ered worth­less and that he thought he was per­form­ing a ser­vice for his Texas bor­der home­town, a pros­e­cu­tor said Wed­nes­day.

Webb County Dis­trict At­tor­ney Isidro Alaniz said he will seek the death penalty if Juan David Or­tiz is found guilty in the Septem­ber slay­ings.

“The scheme in this case, from Or­tiz’s own words, was to clean up the streets of Laredo by tar­get­ing this com­mu­nity of in­di­vid­u­als who he per­ceived to be dis­pos­able, that no one would miss and that he did not give value to,” Alaniz said at a news con­fer­ence. Or­tiz, 35, thought he was do­ing his civic ser­vice by killing the women, the pros­e­cu­tor said.

A sus­pect can be charged with cap­i­tal mur­der if he is sus­pected in more than one killing in the same scheme with an over­ar­ch­ing mo­tive, Alaniz said. Three of the women were shot to death and one died of blunt force trauma. “The ev­i­dence that was pre­sented to the grand jury this morn­ing showed that he killed th­ese four in­no­cent in­di­vid­u­als in a cold, callous and cal­cu­lat­ing way,” he said.

Res­i­dents re­turn to Cal­i­for­nia town lev­eled by wild­fire

PAR­ADISE, Calif. — Joyce and Jerry McLean sifted through twisted metal and bro­ken glass Wed­nes­day on the prop­erty where their mo­bile home once stood, hop­ing to find pre­cious fam­ily pos­ses­sions that might have sur­vived the dev­as­tat­ing Cal­i­for­nia wild­fire that lev­eled Par­adise.

They were among hun­dreds of res­i­dents who were fi­nally al­lowed back into neigh­bor­hoods on the east side of town a month af­ter the blaze killed at least 85 peo­ple and de­stroyed about 14,000 homes.

The cou­ple, wear­ing white haz­mat suits and leather gloves, searched for his gold wed­ding band, a Bi­ble that be­longed to his great-grand­mother and Christ­mas or­na­ments their son made when he was a boy.

“We didn’t own ex­pen­sive things, but we had a lot of mem­ory things,” said Joyce McLean, 73. “If I can find a lit­tle piece of his fam­ily or just a lit­tle piece of my son, I would be happy.”

Ear­lier in the day, a long line of cars waited in a cold driz­zle at a check­point to en­ter ar­eas where evac­u­a­tion or­ders had been lifted for an area where 4,700 peo­ple once lived.

Ex­pec­ta­tions low as Ye­men’s war­ring par­ties meet for talks

CAIRO — Ye­men’s war­ring par­ties will meet in Swe­den this week for an­other at­tempt at talks aimed at halt­ing their catastrophic 3-year-old war, but there are few in­cen­tives for ma­jor com­pro­mises, and the fo­cus is likely to be on firm­ing up a shaky de-es­ca­la­tion.

U.N. of­fi­cials say they don’t ex­pect rapid progress to­ward a po­lit­i­cal set­tle­ment but hope for at least mi­nor steps that would help to ad­dress Ye­men’s wors­en­ing hu­man­i­tar­ian cri­sis.

Both the in­ter­na­tion­al­lyrec­og­nized gov­ern­ment, which is backed by a U.S.sponsored and Saudi-led coali­tion, and the Iranaligned Houthi rebels say they are striv­ing for peace. A Houthi del­e­ga­tion ar­rived in Stockholm late Tues­day, ac­com­pa­nied by U.N. en­voy Martin Grif­fiths. The gov­ern­ment del­e­ga­tion and the head of the rebel del­e­ga­tion were head­ing to Swe­den on Wed­nes­day.

Dutch court re­jects man’s re­quest to be 20 years younger

THE HAGUE, Nether­lands — Dutch mo­ti­va­tional speaker Emile Ratel­band may feel like a 49-year-old, but ac­cord­ing to Dutch law he is still 69.

A Dutch court on Mon­day re­jected Ratel­band’s re­quest to shave 20 years off his age in a case that drew world­wide at­ten­tion.

“Mr. Ratel­band is at lib­erty to feel 20 years younger than his real age and to act ac­cord­ingly,” Arn­hem court said in a press state­ment. “But amend­ing his date of birth would cause 20 years of records to van­ish from the reg­is­ter of births, deaths, mar­riages and reg­is­tered part­ner­ships. This would have a va­ri­ety of un­de­sir­able le­gal and so­ci­etal im­pli­ca­tions.”

Ratel­band went to court last month, ar­gu­ing that he didn’t feel 69 and say­ing his re­quest was con­sis­tent with other forms of per­sonal trans­for­ma­tion which are gain­ing ac­cep­tance in the Nether­lands and around the world, such as the abil­ity to change one’s name or gen­der. The court re­jected that ar­gu­ment, say­ing that un­like in the case of a name or gen­der, Dutch law as­signs rights and obli­ga­tions based on age “such as the right to vote and the duty to at­tend school. If Mr. Ratel­band’s re­quest was al­lowed, those age re­quire­ments would be­come mean­ing­less.”

Next gover­nor will ask Walker to veto lame-duck leg­is­la­tion Canada ar­rests CFO of China’s Huawei Tech­nolo­gies Doc­u­ments show Facebook used user data as com­pet­i­tive weapon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.