JULY GARDENING ACTIVITIES
yuma’s garden clubs are closed for the summer and will begin holding meetings in september.
• Annuals: sow seeds for arizona poppy, Mexican sunflower, regular sunflowers and zinnias.
• Trees and shrubs: Water trees and shrubs regularly during our summer heat. deep watering benefits plants much more than shallow watering. Water perennials to a depth of 1-2 feet and trees to a depth of 3 feet.
• Palms: Fertilize established palms with a granular palm fertilizer, watering well before and after fertilizing.
• Fruit trees: ‘anna’ apples are ripe and ready to pick. do not leave fruit on the tree after it is ripe because it will turn soft and mushy. a crop of ‘Mission’ figs should be ready to pick this month.
• Vegetables: Plant armenian cucumbers, black-eyed peas, bush beans, corn, melons, pinto beans, pumpkins and winter squash from seeds. start pepper and tomato seeds indoors and plant seedlings outdoors in august or september for a fall crop.