New Political Party Formalized
We have already reported that in mid-November, initiators of the Ecological Party of Uzbekistan convened for a meeting in Tashkent. The organizing committee for its creation has been formed and its name been approved.
The Uzbekistan Today correspondent met with one of the initiators of creating a new party, a member of its organizing committee, Sergey Samoilov, and spoke with him about this important event in the political life of the country.
- I got the impression that the initiators of the creation of a new party are mainly members of the Ecological Movement of Uzbekistan.
- This is not true. The initiative group included representatives of many public organizations, for example, operating in the field of health care, teachers and professors of higher educational institutions, members of political parties. Of course, among them were many environmentalists. It should also be noted that the Ecological Movement has never had a fixed membership, and any person, a member of any party who cares for the state of his native nature, could say that he is his active supporter.
- You have come to what has long been reached in many countries, where the Green parties are successfully operating in the political arena...
- Analysis of foreign legislation on elections to representative bodies of state power, as well as the experience of the activities of political parties of environmental issues in other countries shows that more than 90 nations have green parties, including Germany, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Republic of Korea, Canada, the Netherlands, Russia, Turkey, France, Ukraine, among others. These parties participate in elections and get seats in representative bodies of power.
Yes, we came to this, but... our own way.
- So, the organizing committee for the creation of a new party has been elected. How will this process go on and when will it be completed?
- The Organizing Committee has already adopted a “roadmap” for the creation of the Ecological Party of Uzbekistan, including the following major events:
a) collecting at least 20 thousand signatures of citizens intending to unite in a party and residing in at least eight territorial entities (regions), including the Republic of Karakalpakstan and the city of Tashkent;
b) development of the Program and the Charter of the party, preparation of materials and organizational and technical documents for the organization of the constituent congress of the party;
c) the formation of a reserve of personnel for election to the leading bodies of the party;
d) holding the constituent congress of the Ecological Party of Uzbekistan, approval of the Program and the Charter, election of the governing bodies and registration with the Ministry of Justice;
e) the creation of territorial organizations of the party and their registration with the territorial bodies of justice.
All these activities should be completed in early January next year.
The Uzbekistan Today correspondent also talked about this important event in the political life of the country with another initiator of the creation of a new party, Deputy Speaker of the Legislative Chamber of the Oliy Majlis Boriy Alikhanov:
- What will be the policy objectives of the new party?
- The Ecological Party of Uzbekistan, in our opinion, should carry out the following policy tasks:
First, to unite the efforts of the public in the field of environmental protection, environmental management and the creation of favorable living conditions for the population.
Second, to contribute in every way to ensuring the environmental safety of the country.
Third, to improve the national legislation in the field of ecology and health.
Fourth, to increase the level of ecological knowledge and culture, to form an ecological outlook and a healthy way of life of the population.
Fifth, to deepen the partnership with state bodies, political parties, NGOs, selfgovernment bodies of citizens and other institutions of civil society in matters of environmental protection and public health.
Sixth, promote the introduction of environmentally friendly, waste-free technologies and innovative solutions in the field of ecology.
Seventh, to develop cooperation with international and foreign environmental organizations in matters of environmental protection and public health.
The main goal of the Ecological Party of Uzbekistan will be to help ensure that environmental protection and the preservation of natural resources become a matter for the state, society, and every citizen of the country.
And the motto of the party is “We are responsible for the future”.
- Could it be that a new party will not be registered?
- I cannot answer for the Ministry of Justice, but I hope that this will not happen. Indeed, in this case, there will be no opportunity to fully and effectively advance the priorities of the environmental policy of Uzbekistan, the “green” development of the country and ensure environmental safety at the national, regional and global levels.
In addition, the full participation of representative bodies in the center and at the local level in the decision-making process on environmental issues and problems will not be ensured.
It is also important that the opportunity to advance the priorities of environmental policy of Uzbekistan at the international level will be lost, to work equally with political environmental (“green”) parties of foreign countries operating in the field of environmental protection to solve regional and global environmental problems (joint management of transboundary water resources), water bodies, shrinking of the Aral Sea, transboundary environmental impact – air pollution, water and land biodiversity, ozone depletion, climate change).
- Are you optimistic about the chances of a new party in the upcoming parliamentary elections?
- Let’s not get too far ahead, because the party is only being created, and it would be frivolous to discuss its potential.