Kitwe DC warns over Black Mountain ops
CHAPAMO Mineral Resources Limited operatinMgr.aLtutshaemBbloack Mountain should ensure that its trucks use only specified routes or risk being impounded, Kitwe District Commissioner Binwell Mpundu has warned.
CHAPAMO Mineral Resources Limited operating at the Black Mountain should ensure that its trucks use only specified routes or risk being impounded, Kitwe District Commissioner Binwell Mpundu has warned. Mr Mpundu also said all trucks should be covered in tents to avoid spilling materials from the mountain on the roads. He was speaking at his office when he handed over a report to Chapamo Mineral Resources Limited containing findings of the extent of the damages to the houses as a result of the blasting which was done at the Black Mountain a few months ago. “Let me hasten to remind you, Chapamo of the earlier agreed matters with all stakeholders which included that trucks from the Black Mountain should use only specific routes, “Those trucks which will be found wanting will be impounded by the traffic officers in the district. All trucks should be covered with tents to avoid spilling over materials on the roads,” said Mr Mpundu. Mr Mpundu also said sanitation at the Black Mountain needed to be improved to avoid communicable diseases and the possibility of an epidemic. He was however happy that the fate of the affected houses was now clear as Chapamo had committed itself to deal with the damage soon. And Chapamo Mineral Resources director Kelvin Tembo has said the perception that the ‘Black Mountain’ was a salvage yard must be changed because the miners at the site wanted to develop a cordial relationship with the community. Mr Tembo said members of the community were free to report to Chapamo management all erring truck drivers which would in turn take appropriate action against the culprits. “Residents are free to report all erring truck drivers to the management of Chapamo because the company runs an open door policy in matters affecting their business and the community,” said Mr Tembo. Mr Justice Katenekwa has since adjourned the matter to November 13, this year for continued defence. So far 13 out of 18 suspects have given their defence.