Mine worker’s body found float­ing in river

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page - Sukul­wenkosi Dube-Matutu Gwanda Cor­re­spon­dent

THE body of a mine worker was found float­ing in Mt­shabezi River in Gwanda two days af­ter he went miss­ing.

Work­mates yes­ter­day found the body of Mai­los Ng­wabi (29) of Kezi area who was work­ing at Cin­derella D Mine in Gwanda at around 11AM.

A passerby had picked up his cell­phone at the Mt­shabezi River Bridge on Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon.

Mata­bele­land South pro­vin­cial po­lice spokesper­son Chief In­spec­tor Philisani Nde­bele con­firmed the in­ci­dent but said he was yet to re­ceive de­tails of the in­ci­dent.

When the Chron­i­cle news crew vis­ited the scene, a crowd which com­prised Ng­wabi’s work­mates, rel­a­tives and passersby was gath­ered at the scene wait­ing for po­lice to re­trieve the body from the river. The cops re­trieved the body around 12 noon and fer­ried it to Gwanda Pro­vin­cial Hospi­tal mor­tu­ary.

Mr Lenice Ndlovu who was among the mine work­ers who found Ng­wabi’s body, said he last saw his work­mate on Tues­day around 6PM. “Mai­los left the mine on Tues­day at around 6PM go­ing to Gwanda town to buy some cig­a­rettes. He also men­tioned that he would pass through Mt­shabezi River tak­ing a bath as that is where we usu­ally bathe af­ter work. Mai­los how­ever didn’t come back that day.

“On Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon one of our work­mates told us that he re­ceived a call from a stranger who was us­ing Mai­los’ cell phone. This per­son who made the call said he picked up the phone at Mt­shabezi River Bridge and called one of the num­bers which ap­peared on the con­tacts list. It quickly dawned to us that Mai­los could be in the river,” he said.

Mr Ndlovu said they con­ducted a search along Mt­shabezi River yes­ter­day morn­ing which led to the re­cov­ery of Mai­los’ body.

Mai­los’ brother, Mr Mlungisi Ng­wabi said he was dev­as­tated and shocked by the news of his brother’s death. He said he re­ceived a re­port that his brother was miss­ing on Wed­nes­day morn­ing af­ter he did not re­turn home. Mr Ng­wabi said he alerted the po­lice and later re­ceived news on the re­cov­ery of the cell phone.

He said they were still won­der­ing what could have hap­pened to his younger brother.

“I’m in shock right now and I can’t be­lieve my brother is gone. When they told me that his cell phone had been found I hoped that he had lost it and could be held up some­where. I got the shock of my life when I heard that his body had been found in the river. I don’t know whether he was at­tacked by peo­ple and thrown in the river or he fell in while drunk. — @DubeMatutu A BU­L­AWAYO taxi driver was al­legedly car­jacked by two un­known as­sailants who pro­duced a knife and threat­ened to slit his throat.

Le­gion Mpofu (44) from Emakhan­deni sub­urb lost his reg­is­tered taxi, a Honda Fit ve­hi­cle. The in­ci­dent oc­curred on New Year’s Day at about 8PM and the car’s num­ber plate is AEG 8570.

Bu­l­awayo deputy po­lice spokesper­son In­spec­tor Abed­nico Ncube yes­ter­day con­firmed the car­jack­ing in­ci­dent.

He said in­ves­ti­ga­tions on the mat­ter were in progress.

“Po­lice are in­ves­ti­gat­ing a car­jack­ing case which oc­curred in Kings­dale sub­urb on Tues­day. The vic­tim is a 44-year-old taxi driver who was robbed of his car by two un­known males who pre­tended to be clients. The un­known sus­pects ap­proached the driver out­side a night­club be­tween 12th and 13th Av­enue and told him that they wanted to be taken to Queens Park sub­urb,” said Insp Ncube.

“When they ap­proached Kings­dale sub­urb, soon af­ter pass­ing 747 Sports Bar, the two di­rected him to take a right turn. Af­ter driv­ing for about 200 me­tres they sud­denly or­dered him to stop the car. One of them grabbed the driver by the col­lar, pro­duced a knife and threat­ened to kill him. The one who was in the front seat slapped him and pushed him out of the car.” He said the two car­jack­ers sped off in the car. Insp Ncube said the car­jack­ers also got away with Mr Mpofu’s cell­phone and ten­nis shoes that were in the car.

“The value of the car is $3 800 and noth­ing has been re­cov­ered. Po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tions are still in progress and we ap­peal to any­one who might be hav­ing in­for­ma­tion that may lead to the ar­rest of the cul­prits to come for­ward,” said Insp Ncube.

He said taxi driv­ers should re­port at po­lice sta­tions be­fore driv­ing off with sus­pi­cious peo­ple.

Last year in March, two pi­rate Honda Fit driv­ers were killed in Bu­l­awayo’s Kil­lar­ney sub­urb and Ce­ment Sid­ing in car­jack­ing in­ci­dents.

Po­lice ar­rested two of the sus­pects linked to the killing of the two Honda Fit driv­ers while the third sus­pect Thinkwell Moyo is still at large. — @nqot­shili.

Mine work­ers carry the body of Mai­los Ng­wabi into a po­lice van

In­spec­tor Abed­nico Ncube

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.