Man killed over rafters

Sunday News (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page -

A GWANDA man has ap­peared in court while his two ac­com­plices are still at large af­ter they beat up a man re­sult­ing in his death for al­legedly steal­ing their friend’s rafters.

Sizanani Ndlovu (32) of Mz­imuni area was con­victed on his own plea of guilty to culpable homi­cide by Gwanda re­gional mag­is­trate, Mr Mark Dzira last week.

He was sen­tenced to 30 months im­pris­on­ment of which six were sus­pended on con­di­tion he does not within the next five years com­mit a sim­i­lar of­fence. The re­main­ing 24 months were sus­pended on con­di­tion he per­forms 840 hours of com­mu­nity ser­vice at Mz­imuni Clinic.

In his mit­i­ga­tion, Ndlovu told the court that it was not his in­ten­tion to cause the death of Thokozani Ny­athi. He begged the court to be le­nient on him as he was wid­owed and has a child to look af­ter. Pros­e­cut­ing, Mr Mnce­disi Dube said Ndlovu and his ac­com­plices com­mit­ted the of­fence on 19 Oc­to­ber in 2009.

“On 19 Oc­to­ber 2009 around 4pm, Ndlovu and his ac­com­plices Asakheni Ndlovu and Bhekuzulu Bhebhe who are still at large met the now de­ceased, Thokozani Ny­athi at Stan­more Busi­ness Cen­tre and started ac­cus­ing him of hav­ing stolen some rafters, a wal­let and a T-shirt from their friend.

“A mis­un­der­stand­ing arose over the matter as Ny­athi was deny­ing the al­le­ga­tions. Asakheni and Bhebhe then punched Ny­athi sev­eral times all over the body and as a re­sult he fell to the ground and his head hit a con­crete floor,” he said.

Mr Dube said a vil­lager as­sisted Ny­athi to get back on his feet and ac­com­pa­nied him home. He said along the way Ndlovu fol­lowed them and slapped Ny­athi on the face who then fell to

the ground and his head hit a rock.

Mr Dube said Ny­athi lost con­scious­ness as a re­sult of the at­tack and started bleed­ing from the head, mouth and ears.

“Ny­athi later gained con­scious­ness af­ter re­ceiv­ing some first aid and pro­ceeded to his home­stead where he spent the night. His con­di­tion wors­ened and on the fol­low­ing morn­ing Ny­athi was fer­ried to Stan­more Clinic and was later re­ferred to United Bu­l­awayo Hospi­tals where he died around 11 pm.

“A post mortem re­vealed that Ny­athi had died due to ex­ten­sive haem­or­rhage and head in­juries he sus­tained as a re­sult of the as­sault,” he said.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.