• Store-bought items, such as pots or platters, offer the perfect base for mosaic work. You’ll have to seal the surface first with a product suitable for the material.
• Use tile or glass cutters to cut tiles into pieces.
• You can buy packs of mosaic glass tiles in a range of colours, or tile sheets on a paper or mesh backing that are easily cut with scissors.
• For garden pieces, you’ll need a tile or construction adhesive for outdoor use.
• Make two-dimensional pieces by fixing tiles to a flat surface cut to the desired shape – marine ply is ideal for this.
• Apply grout to the finished mosaic using a squeegee to push it into the gaps in between tiles. Wipe off the excess with a clean, damp sponge. Rinse it regularly. Leave the grout to set.
• Polish off grout haze with a soft, dry cloth.