South Ockendon (UK)
Ford built a new factory at South Ockendon, Essex (sometimes called Aveley), originally as a spare parts centre, in 1956. Later, as the company expended further it became an engineering design centre, then a pilot build plant. When Ford set up the AVO (Advanced Vehicle Operation) in 1970, it re-equipped a corner of this plant, and produced Escort Mexicos, RS2000s and RS1600s. Plans were then made to assemble Mk2 models, turbocharged Capris and Cortinas too, but economic decline killed off the scheme.The South Ockendon plant closed in 2004.