Regist erin g in th e UK

Classics Monthly - - Mini -

Reg­is­ter­ing an im­ported clas­sic ve­hi­cle in the UK is rel­a­tively sim­ple. Use the No­ti­fi­ca­tion of Ve­hi­cle Arrivals (NOVA) ser­vice within 14 days of the car’s ar­rival to tell HM Rev­enue and Cus­toms (HMRC) that you’re im­port­ing a ve­hi­cle; if it’s from an­other EU coun­try then no VAT should be payable.

You’ll also need a com­pleted V55/5 form avail­able from the DVLA , the orig­i­nal non-UK reg­is­tra­tion doc­u­ment, in­sur­ance cer­tifi­cate (sev­eral UK in­sur­ers will be pro­vide in­sur­ance cover us­ing the chas­sis num­ber un­til the car is reg­is­tered), doc­u­ments prov­ing your name and ad­dress and a valid UK MoT cer­tifi­cate.

There is no need for Type Ap­proval if your ve­hi­cle is over 10 years old. The fee for first reg­is­tra­tion is £55, plus the cost of tax­ing the ve­hi­cle. So, was it worth it? Well, fac­tor­ing in the pur­chase price, in­sur­ance, travel, bu­reau­cracy a con­ver­sion to right-hand-drive and ev­ery­thing else, the fi­nal cost was bud­geted at a smidgen un­der the £4000 mark.

To some that might sound ex­pen­sive for a base-model Mini, but we’d got a 31,000mile car with a whole lot of life left in it, and we en­joyed a mem­o­rable few days driv­ing it home, too. So, if you’re up for an ad­ven­ture, it’s well worth look­ing fur­ther afield... that is, if the Pound ever re­cov­ers...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.