THE DEPLORABLES: THEY SAID WHAT?
“There is no such thing as tolerance… The Church rejects unclean love, in order to promote and protect holy love.” – The Romanian Orthodox church’s stance on same-sex marriage as the Democratic Party rules out marriage equality.
“President Obama commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who leaked countless sensitive and classified documents to WikiLeaks… horrible, horrible thing that he did.”
– President Trump refers to trans woman and former US soldier Chelsea Manning as “he” during a speech in Arizona. “[My sister] Chris has been a very good mother with her partner Virginia, they do a good job, but nevertheless I’m old fashioned enough to think kids do best with a mother and a father.”
– Former Australian PM Tony Abbott reckons his lesbian sister’s children would be better off with heterosexual parents. “The library is not providing a safe place for children to explore children’s books.”
– American evangelical Kurt Jaros, who requested that his local library in Chicago remove a kids’ book that teaches about LGBTI lives. “We affirm that it is sinful to approve of homosexual immorality and transgenderism and that such approval constitutes an essential departure from Christian faithfulness and witness.”
– The US-based Council On Biblical Manhood And Womanhood releases its anti-LGBT manifesto at the Southern Baptist Convention’s annual conference. “Black people have black skin and is nasty and discussing and unappealing. Stop talking to us whites. We don’t want dark or burnt skinned friends or sex partners.” (sic)
– Twitter user @TEEZBabyCakes shares the abuse he received on Grindr from a white man in Ohio.
“I don’t believe Hurricane Harvey is God’s punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than ‘climate change’.”
– US conservative commentator Ann Coulter on the causes of the devastating storm that hit Houston in August.
“Has anyone noticed how determined the BBC is to undermine traditional and Christian morality… Hardly a day passes without it promoting abortion, homosexuality, etc… Each time the propaganda is repeated I know more people are corrupted, myself included, by being told ‘evil is good!’.”
– South African Cardinal Wilfred Napier takes to Twitter to accuse the BBC of “gay propaganda”.
“I have a very clear idea of what is going on here: the homosexuals in Australia, they took the word gay… [The word ‘gay’ used to] conjure up a beautiful image, it was the most beautiful word in the English language, and [gay people] said, ‘Oh God, we will take that word and we will have it as ours’.”
– Australian politician Bob Katter says he’s angry that gay people “stole” the word gay. Bob has a gay half-brother, Carl.
“It wouldn’t look right with two gentlemen eating out of the same sundae. It doesn’t go with the ambiance of the restaurant.”
– Alleged comments from a waiter in Washington DC restaurant Prime Rib after two men said they would like to share a dessert.
“I’m not against them [gay people] getting married as long as a bullet goes through their head the moment they kiss.” – Auckland-based preacher Logan Robertson from the Westcity Bible Baptist Church in a violent sermon against marriage equality. He’s currently under police investigation.