ARMED HOME INVASION
Teenagers to stand trial after court told of alleged break-in, gunshot
TWO teenagers have been committed to stand trial over a terrifying armed home invasion in Leopold.
A shot was allegedly fired when several masked men forced their way into the Bellarine Highway home on November 2 last year.
Father-of-two Dale McDonald told Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday he saw a gun pointed at his face seconds after the shot was fired.
Shane Foster, 19, and Wol Wol, 18, are facing numerous charges over the incident and were yesterday ordered to face a County Court trial.
Charges against another man, Mursal Biel, were thrown out due to insufficient evidence.
Police allege Mr Wol and two other men went to the home with the intention of stealing a GTS Commodore that had been staked out days earlier.
Sleeping inside the home was Mr McDonald, his wife and teenage son.
Appearing in the witness box, Mr McDonald said he woke shortly before 2am to a loud noise outside the home.
When the truck driver went downstairs to investigate, he said he saw several masked men standing at his front door, including one armed with a gun.
Mr McDonald said he ran for cover as the men kicked in the door, before the gunman cornered him and made demands for cash.
After the gun-toting bandit went to follow the other men upstairs, Mr McDonald said he pursued him, before hearing a gunshot and seeing the firearm aimed at him.
“I said to him: ‘ Shoot me. Shoot me’,” Mr McDonald said.
The men then fled the home into a waiting car before driving away.
Police claim text messages sent between Mr Foster and Mr Wol show they were planning the heist up to four days before it happened.
On October 28, Mr Wol allegedly sent a message to Mr Foster reading: “You legit? 2-3k for it? Word cuz. If you can find a GTS ... I’ll give.”
Mr Foster allegedly responded: “Try make sure you get it. Just force it or some sh--. It will be worth $$. Trust.”
Two days later, it is alleged Mr Wol wrote to Mr Foster: “Hey G ... I think I might come with one person or two.”
Mr Foster allegedly replied: “Yeah two or three would be fine.”
Following the alleged incident, police found a used shell casing inside the home, but no bullet.
The 22-caliber firearm believed to have been used in the incident was not recovered until February, however, investigators were unable to find any fingerprints on it.
Mr Foster, of Thompson, has been charged with conspiracy to commit a robbery and attempted car theft.
Mr Wol, of Melbourne, faces charges including aggravated home invasion and reckless conduct endangering life.
Both men have pleaded not guilty.
They were remanded in custody and will return to court next month.
SHOCKED: Victim Dale McDonald speaks outside his Leopold house in November last year after armed men allegedly forced their way inside.