Re­born Day­tona

Old Bike Australasia - - OUT’N’ABOUT -

DANIEL XUEREB ex­plains his love af­fair with a 1968 T100R Tri­umph. “This bike be­longed to my fa­ther-in-law, Robbi. It was the first time I rode a mo­tor­cy­cle of this sort of age and the first time I rode it, I didn’t want to stop. When I got back they were wor­ried I’d run out of fuel be­cause I was gone for so long. So af­ter when Robbi hinted that he was look­ing at buy­ing some­thing a bit later model and was go­ing to sell it, I said ‘Great I’ll buy it’! I rode it for a while be­fore mak­ing the de­ci­sion to re­build it. I thought this will only take a few months, but with two kids and four years later she is fi­nally fin­ished.

“Robbi bought the bike from his friend Ralph Bri­otti, who brought the bike from Amer­ica in parts and re­built it. Ralph was a very ex­pe­ri­enced bike builder and Renowned His­toric racer, I was for­tu­nate to meet Ralph and see his beau­ti­ful col­lec­tion of mo­tor­cy­cles in his hum­ble lit­tle shed in Cer­vantes WA. Ralph passed away in 2014 and I ded­i­cate this build to him and his fam­ily. I started dis­as­sem­bling, which was a hard de­ci­sion be­cause I knew I wouldn’t be able to ride it for quite a while. At this stage we were liv­ing in WA so I sorted the frame and parts for pow­der coat and chrome, got the rims re-spoked and pow­der coated black. It was dif­fi­cult to pic­ture the bike in my mind in how it would look. I de­cided to move away from orig­i­nal paint colours which wasn’t easy but on the tank and fen­ders and I went with the sap­phire candy blue with old school black tram lines. I felt it needed less chrome, so I de­cided to delete the chrome on the bars, head­light, forks and rear shocks. When I picked them up– from Stevo at Hell­boy Restora­tions they were per­fect, just as I had pic­tured in my head. I ended up send­ing him the cast alu­minum front brake cover and he did it in black, also the rear tail light. By this stage we were liv­ing in Bal­larat so while we moved across the coun­try very lit­tle hap­pened while we set­tled in our new home. Once I got my new shed set up it was time to pull the mo­tor apart. The crankcases were in much need of a freshen up so I com­pletely dis­as­sem­bled the en­gine and hy­dro blasted the cases and fit­ted new bear­ings. In­ter­nally the mo­tor was in good con­di­tion, so I just cleaned the pis­tons and put in new rings. I sent the bar­rel to Stevo and he sug­gested the black with pol­ished fins type look, and I am glad he sug­gested. Over­all the mo­tor came to­gether quite well. There wasn’t a great deal of spare time with rais­ing to boys but slowly the parts came off the shelf and she started to take shape.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.