It’s a Dog’s Life
For thousands of years, the dog has been humankind’s best friend. Test your command of these concepts concerning our faithful companions
1. flyball n. – A: team sport for dogs. B: hyperactive puppy. C: ball for playing fetch.
2. mottled adj. – A: turned wild. B: marked with blotches of colour. C: not yet weaned.
3. barbet n. – A: French breed with woolly fur. B: purse with a pocket for a tiny dog. C: tuft of hair on the chin.
4. brachycephalic adj. – A: affected by a tumour. B: having an alpha temperament. C: with a broad, short head.
5. slaver n. – A: overly demanding trainer. B: saliva that runs from the mouth. C: dominant dog.
6. play bow n. – A: sound made by a lonely dog. B: bow tie for a pet or child. C: playful canine body position.
7. dewclaw n. – A: inner toe that doesn’t reach the ground. B: fur on the paws. C: canine athlete’s foot. 8. worry v. – A: escape a leash. B: whimper incessantly. C: gnaw at and shake with the teeth. 9. litter n. – A: puppies born to a mother at one time. B: large kennel. C: dog of no definable breed. 10. guard hair n. – A: outer fur. B: sensitive whiskers. C: inner fur. 11. overmark v. – A: gain a perfect score at a dog show. B: cover another animal’s scent. C: inscribe on a collar. 12. cynophobia adj. – A: fear of barking. B: fear of bites. C: fear of dogs. 13. whelp n. – A: soft yapping sound. B: young dog. C: stray dog. 14. Argos n. – A: dog in Greek mythology. B: Bollywood celebrity Pomeranian. C: Mediterranean breed with a short tail. 15. frolic v. – A: sniff the air. B: jump up on someone. C: run around happily.