Tight squeeze for top-five places

The Weekly Advertiser Horsham - - Sport - BY DEAN LAW­SON

Abat­tle for places in Wim­mera Foot­ball League’s top five is well un­der­way as the com­pe­ti­tion breaks this week­end for com­mu­nity cham­pi­onship com­mit­ments.

Reign­ing premier Hor­sham has a four­point break on the field af­ter four rounds and Minyip-mur­toa and Ararat are hotly in pur­suit in sec­ond and third spots re­spec­tively. Only per­cent­age sep­a­rates teams sit­ting fourth to sev­enth.

South­ern Mallee Giants re­bounded strongly on the end of back-to-back losses, beat­ing Ararat by 39 points at the week­end.

The Giants jumped the Rats at Beu­lah, es­tab­lish­ing more than a five-goal lead at quar­ter time, and were well on top be­fore a big last-quar­ter come­back from the vis­i­tors.

Lou White, Kai Forsyth and Sam Wed­dell led the Giants’ ef­forts and Nick O’far­rell kicked four goals.

Dan and Nick Men­des won best-player hon­ours for the Rats and Ben Free kicked four of his team’s 10 goals.

Hor­sham main­tained its winning form against War­rack Ea­gles, but only af­ter a ma­jor test at War­rackn­abeal.

The Demons par­ried with the Ea­gles all day and fi­nally se­cured a 20-point vic­tory.

John Wood shone, as did Ben Lakin, Brad Har­ti­gan and Brodie Mines for the win­ners and Ryan Kemp bagged four six-point­ers. Nick Peters was again a stand­out for the Ea­gles, Shan­non Ar­gall im­pressed and Chris Kel­lett won votes. Coach Ryan Mcken­zie kicked three goals.

Minyip-mur­toa also notched up an­other win, but only af­ter it, too, en­dured a tough test, against Nhill.

The fi­nal scores showed the Bur­ras winning by 31 points, but the vis­i­tors were be­hind at the last change at Davis Park and re­sponded by pro­duc­ing a seven-goal fi­nal term.

Kieran De­lahunty, seven, and Jae Mcgrath, five, kicked 12 goals be­tween them for the win­ners as coach Damian Cameron and John and Jor­dan De­lahunty pro­vided the oomph to get their team over the line.

Tim Bone’s Tigers missed the op­por­tu­nity to snare a ma­jor scalp de­spite the ef­forts of Stephen Craig, Mitch Borgelt and Jess Mo­rano.

It was an­other big fi­nal-quar­ter ef­fort that also se­cured Hor­sham Saints an awk­ward win over Stawell at Hor­sham’s Cough­lin Park.

The Saints ap­peared well on the way to kick them­selves out of the game, hav­ing 1.10 on the board to Stawell’s 5.8 by half time.

But the home side, led by Ja­cob O’beirne, Xan­der Mcrae, Sam Clyne and Kieran Pri­est­ley, gath­ered mo­men­tum in the sec­ond half and pre­vented the War­riors from kick­ing any more goals.

An eight-goal fi­nal term sealed the deal for the Saints.

Naish Mcroberts, Jack­son Dark, Tom Tau­rau and Sean Man­tell flew the flag for the War­riors.

GO­ING NOWHERE: A div­ing tackle from Hor­sham Saints’ Ben Martin forces the ball from the hands of Stawell’s Todd Matthews in Wim­mera Foot­ball League, and above left, Stawell’s Koby Ste­wart and Hor­sham Saints’ James Lang tan­gle for the ball at Hor­sham’s...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.