Hunt for a second beach killer
THERE are fears a second gunman from the Sousse beach massacre may be on the run.
Police and eyewitnesses are increasingly convinced that Seifeddine Rezgui, who gunned down 38 people during Friday’s rampage at the Imperial Marhaba hotel, had an armed accomplice.
A Tunisian security source said: “There were two terrorists. There were two gunmen.”
Police have issued an alert for two suspected accomplices, Mohamed Bin Adbdallah and Rafikhe Taiari.
The move came as Tunisian Interior Minister Mohamed Gharsalli announced that a group of people who allegedly supported Rezgui had already been arrested.
“We have started by arresting a first group, a significant number of people, from the network that was behind this terrorist criminal,” Mr Gharsalli said.
He said 1000 troops would be deployed to help protect beach resorts.
Three survivors, two of them retired British policemen, have insisted there was a second fanatic during the attack.
was wounded in both legs, said she was shot by a man with a handgun who she b e l i e v e s was not Rezgui, who assault rifle.
Ex- policemen Steve Johnson and Michael Perry believe Rezgui was not the only gunman. They were in a different part of the hotel complex to Miss Murray.
“We saw what we believe was a second terrorist,” Mr Johnson said. “It was a guy in red shorts, walking down from the hotel into the pool area.
“He just had red shorts on, nothing else on his legs or his feet or his body. And he had an automatic rifle in his arms and people were just running from him.
“We know he wasn’t the original terrorist, the one in black, because my colleague Mick Perry had seen that man, who he initially thought was a policeman.
“But he saw him shooting … people on the beach.”