Priest leaves af­ter three hard years

Townsville Bulletin - - NEWS -

The sec­re­tary of the Townsville Liedertafel an­nounces that prac­tice for the con­cert to be given at the end of Au­gust will be com­menced forth­with. Of late the num­ber of per­form­ing mem­bers has not been as large as the class of mu­sic un­der­taken war­rants and the com­mit­tee would be pleased to welcome new mem­bers ca­pa­ble of par­tic­i­pat­ing in the cho­rus. On Fri­day last, while try­ing to catch a horse at Miss Mac­don­ald’s se­lec­tion, at Paul’s Pocket, a lad named Wil­lie Win­ton had the mis­for­tune to have his leg bro­ken ( says the Proser­pine Guardian of July 13). It ap­pears the an­i­mal, which was al­ways looked upon as very old and quiet, rushed at the boy, seized him by the shirt be­tween the shoul­ders and dashed him to the ground with such force that his leg was bro­ken. The lad was at once brought in to town by Messrs Mac­don­ald and Em­mer­son and the bro­ken limb was set by Dr. An­der­son. As the re­sult of a col­li­sion be­tween a car and a bi­cy­cle in Flin­ders St about 11 o’clock on Wed­nes­day, Alexan­der Trot­ter, 49, of Queens Road, Her­mit Park, was con­veyed to a pri­vate surgery with a frac­tured left rib, in­jury to the left an­kle and abra­sions to the hands and over the left eye. A lad named Wil­liam McLach­lan, who was re­ported miss­ing from his home in West End, has in­formed his par­ents that he has se­cured em­ploy­ment at Ayr. Lau­rie Lau­rence ( 12), of 34 Ech­lin Street, West End, re­ceived a prob­a­ble frac­ture of his right col­lar­bone when play­ing football at the Sports Re­serve on Fri­day. He was trans­ported to hos­pi­tal. Adams’ res­ig­na­tion be­cause of ill health, ob­serv­ing: “He has en­deared him­self to all classes of the com­mu­nity and his loss will be deeply re­gret­ted.”

A sketch of the in­ex­pe­ri­enced dea­con’s achieve­ments can be found in the online history of St James Cathe­dral, Townsville.

Townsville’s Angli­cans se­cured Mr Adams’ ap­point­ment by promis­ing the Bishop of Syd­ney, Dr Fred­eric Baker, to meet £ 120 of his £ 200 an­nual stipend. The bal­ance came from funds of the So­ci­ety for the Prop­a­ga­tion of the Gospel.

His ar­rival spurred mem­bers to be­gin fundrais­ing for a church. The Angli­cans’ oc­ca­sional wor­ship leader Po­lice Mag­is­trate James Gor­don was un­happy with us­ing the court­house as a makeshift house of God.

He was ashamed Townsville had two the­atres and no

He was ashamed Townsville

had two the­atres and no churches

churches in 1870, de­scrib­ing this as “a stand­ing re­proach to us all” when launch­ing con­struc­tion of St James Church on Mel­ton Hill in May, 1871.

The weath­er­board church, opened in Oc­to­ber, 1871, at a cost of £ 400. Mr Gor­don’s mother re­port­edly pre­sented a stained- glass rose win­dow to be placed above the en­try.

Townsville’s Catholics opened their first church on The Strand a few months later.

The Rock­hamp­ton Bul­letin’s de­pic­tion of a Catholic- Protes­tant church- build­ing race seems far- fetched.

“Mr Adams, the Church of Eng­land Cler­gy­man, has been here eight months, and there has been scarcely a move­ment to­wards get­ting up a church,” the news­pa­per sneered. “Per­haps they may be shamed into do­ing some­thing when the Catholic Church is built.”

In fact, Mr Adams’ du­ties ex­tended far be­yond Townsville – north to the Gulf and west to the North’s bur­geon­ing gold­fields and pas­toral runs.

A re­port of his first 12 months tabled at the Church Mis­sion So­ci­ety’s an­nual meet­ing in Syd­ney in Novem­ber 1871 recorded he trav­elled over a length of 1100 miles.

“His labours through­out that vast dis­trict were very much of a mis­sion­ary char­ac­ter,” the Syd­ney Morn­ing Her- ald re­ported on Novem­ber 8, 1871. He had per­suaded Ravenswood gold­min­ers to build a church and con­vinced mag­is­trates and other lay per­sons to fol­low James Gor­don’s ex­am­ple in con­duct­ing ser­vices.

Be­fore his de­par­ture in 1873, with “hand­some writ­ing desk, dress­ing- case and pen­cil case” from the Sun­day school, he or­gan­ised a nov­elty auc­tion to clear the par­son­age of £ 60 debt, en­sur­ing a clean start for his suc­ces­sor the Rev­erend W Kil­dahl, pre­vi­ously of Ravenswood.

Pic­ture: TOWNSVILLE CITY LI­BRARIES

St James Angli­can Church, Townsville, c. 1880; and, inset, Rev­erend James Adams.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.