Man who choked ex- part­ner sent to jail

Townsville Bulletin - - NEWS - LUCY SMITH

A MAN who choked his ex­part­ner un­til she blacked out has been jailed.

The man, who can’t be iden­ti­fied for le­gal rea­sons, pleaded guilty in Townsville District Court last week to chok­ing as a do­mes­tic vi­o­lence of­fence and wil­ful dam­age.

Crown pros­e­cu­tor An­drew Walk­late said at the time of the as­sault the cou­ple had been to­gether for four months and liv­ing in South Townsville.

On June 23 last year, a do­mes­tic vi­o­lence order against the man was put in place.

Two weeks later, the woman was at home with the man and his chil­dren, us­ing her phone to com­ment on a Face­book post from her em­ployer and ex- part­ner.

The de­fen­dant used his phone to com­ment on the post: “You’re noth­ing with­out him, you’re just a pros­ti­tute whore, you’re noth­ing good at your job and you’re worth noth­ing”.

The woman deleted the com­ment and un­friended her more re­cent part­ner. An ar­gu­ment took place.

“He picked up a glass of rum from the lounge and threw it at her, it missed and hit the glass lou­vres,” Mr Walk­late said.

The woman ran down­stairs and later re­turned to take pho­tos of the smashed lou­vres.

“The de­fen­dant grabbed the com­plainant by her neck and threw her on to the ground,” Mr Walk­late said. “She tried to get away … but he picked her up by her neck, turned her over, pushed her on to the ground and then against the wall.”

The man then started stran­gling her from be­hind. “She was in pain, she couldn’t breathe, she de­scribed her­self as hav­ing blacked out,” he said.

The woman even­tu­ally got free and ran away to her car.

She picked up a brick and threw it to “scare” the man. He picked it up and threw it at her car, smash­ing a head­light.

Mr Walk­late said the man breached a do­mes­tic vi­o­lence order against his pre­vi­ous part­ner. In 2006 he faced court for push­ing, punch­ing and smash­ing the phone of the for­mer part­ner. She re­quired stitches.

Judge Gre­gory Lyn­ham said as­sault­ing women was “a de­spi­ca­ble and cow­ardly act”.

The man was sen­tenced to two years in jail. He will be re­leased on pa­role on Jan­uary 18.

Pic­ture: FIONA HARD­ING

CULI­NARY JOUR­NEY: The Ville Re­sort- Casino chef Cloe Buck­ley will head to South Korea in Septem­ber.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.