• Air Vanuatu flies direct from Sydney and Brisbane to Port Vila. airvanuatu.com
WHEN TO GO
Vanuatu is a year-round destination. The best time to visit is during the dry season from April to October, however, even during the wet season it generally only rains for short periods.
WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK
• While it looks more like a Spanish hacienda than a
French restaurant, L’Houstalet has been proudly owned by Clement Martinez for more than 40 years. On the outskirts of Port Vila, this is where the declaration of Vanuatu independence was drafted in 1980 and today it still appeals to a wide range of locals, expats and visitors who come for its signature lobster dishes, excellent steaks, pizzas, French onion soup and, for the brave, flying fox in red wine sauce. +678/22303.
• Overlooking the second lagoon, the palm-fringed Vila Chaumieres offers superb local seafood like coconut crusted local prawns and Tahitian fish salad as well as chargrilled prime Vanuatu beef. vilachaumieres.com
• Just a short ferry or water taxi ride away, Iririki Island Resort and Erakor Island Resort offer charming alfresco dining within minutes of Port Vila. iririki.com; erakorislandresort.com
• Vanuatu Beach Bar right behind the white sands of Mele Bay is the place to be for the Friday night fire show and Tuesday movie and pizza night. vanuatubeachbar.com
• Overlooking Port Vila Harbour, the Lava Lounge is a great spot for sunset cocktails, pizzas, local Tanna coffee and live music. +678/26671; facebook.com/lavaloungevanuatu
• Le Fournil De Vila offers superb French breads and pastries made with flour imported from France while Au Peche Mignon, with its terrace overlooking the market, offers excellent coffees, sandwiches and quiches as well terrific chocolates and pastries. frenchpastryvanuatu.com
It is very easy to hail a bus to get around Port Vila. The cost around town is 150 Vatu per person. The further you travel out of town, the fare increases. You can also hire taxis or buses to take you to sights all over Efate. Drivers have their own rates depending on where they take you and how long they wait around for you. You pay around AUD$184 for three hours but you can also negotiate.
• Full and half-day tours are also available.
• Vanuatu Tourism: vanuatutravel.info