Fly to Los Angeles with one of the major carriers (such as Qantas, Virgin Australia, United and Delta), then connect to Friedman Memorial Airport in the small town of Hailey, which is 22 kilometres from the resort. Alaska Airlines and Delta regularly make the two-hour fight between LA and Hailey. If you are already skiing in Utah or Colorado (where most Aussies go), there are also flights from Salt Lake City with Delta and with United from Denver. Free shuttles are available from Hailey airport for Sun Valley resort guests.
• alaskaair.com, delta.com, united.com
LAY OF THE LAND
There are two ski areas, Bald Mountain and Dollar Mountain. In between is the resort village, including Sun Valley Lodge. There is no ski in and ski out accommodation, but free shuttles take skiers to the nearby slopes. There are day lodges at, or on, each mountain. Shuttles also run into the Old West town of Ketchum, which is about three kilometres away and has most accommodation, restaurants and bars.
WHERE TO STAY
• The Sun Valley Lodge has charm, style and history and a
new wow factor thanks to its renovation. sunvalley.com
• The Limelight Hotel (there’s one in Aspen too) is edgy, affordable and for the young crowd. It was the first new hotel in Sun Valley in 20 years when it opened in Ketchum in late 2016. limelighthotels.com
• The Knob Hill Inn is a boutique property in Ketchum with European ski chalet ambience. knobhillinn.com
WHERE TO EAT IN KETCHUM
• The Warfield Distillery & Brewery is a gastro-pub where you can partake in local beers such as Big Plough, spirits including gin and vodka, and a modern menu featuring octopus, pheasant breast and Hokkaido scallops. warfielddistillery.com
• Step into the Wild West at the cosy Pioneer Saloon, a Sun Valley icon where steaks and ribs rule. pioneersaloon.com
• The Enoteca restaurant and wine bar, operated by the owners of the acclaimed Ketchum Grill, has wood-fire pizzas and Idaho trout on its menu. ketchum-enoteca.com
• For modern-day celeb spotting, book a breakfast, brunch or lunch table at the stylish Italian, Cristina’s. cristinasofsunvalley.com
• Idaho Tourism: visitidaho.org