Phillip Is­land into grand fi­nal

Warragul & Drouin Gazette - - LIFTOUT -

Phillip Is­land have booked the first place in the West Gipp­s­land foot­ball grand fi­nal, com­fort­ably ac­count­ing for Koo wee rup in Satur­day’s sec­ond semi­fi­nal at Cora Lynn, 9-13 (67) to 5-7 (37).

With eyes on other com­pe­ti­tion fan­cies the Bull­dogs have only came to the fore in premier­ship con­ver­sa­tions in re­cent times, with a late surge in the home and away sea­son help­ing the con­sis­tent Bull­dogs to a top of the ta­ble fin­ish.

They only ad­vanced their cre­den­tials against fel­low premier­ship as­pi­rant Koo wee rup on Satur­day, whose pace and hard run­ning proved far too much to han­dle for Nar Nar Goon in the qual­i­fier.

It was the Bull­dogs’ abil­ity to stay in the con­test while kick­ing against the scor­ing end that proved the dif­fer­ence, al­low­ing the Is­land to come away with a 30-point win.

James Tay­lor kicked the first goal of the match as the Is­land hung in against the breeze in the first term.

Two goals from Ja­son Wells en­sured the Demons would take a nar­row lead into quar­ter time, btu the Bull­dogs would take ad­van­tage in the sec­ond term to open a buf­fer.

Goals to Hay­den Bruce, Jaymie Youle, Tay­lor and Alexan­der Of­fi­cer helped the Bull­dogs to a 22-ppint ad­van­tage at the long break.

The Bull­dogs’ abil­ity to hold firm in a third quar­ter arm wres­tle again proved in­valu­able, set­ting up an op­por­tu­nity to con­trol the match in the fi­nal term.

When Mar­cus Wright scored the first goal of the third term against the breeze at the 16minute mark, it was al­ways go­ing to be dif­fi­cult for the Demons to come back.

Wells kicked truly in time on to re­duce the mar­gin to 16-points and when Luke McMaster scored in the open­ing five min­utes, the game was well and truly alive.

But the Bull­dogs were able to steady.

A goal to Alexan­der Red­mond was fol­lowed by con­sec­u­tive goals to Aaron Ed­wards to make it three goals in eight min­utes and kill off any chance the Demons had to get back into the game.

With the re­sult be­yond doubt nei­ther side could pro­duce a score in the fi­nal 10-min­utes.

Demons book place

Koo wee rup booked its place in the Re­serves grand fi­nal, com­fort­ably ac­count­ing for In­ver­loch-Kong­wak 12-8 (80) to 2-5 (17).

Tak­ing a nar­row eight-point lead into the first change, the Demons kicked eight con­sec­u­tive goals to put the match in their keep­ing.

Jack Car­son booted three goals, while Daniel Mullen, Ben Miller, Xavier Quigley, Neil Wat­son and Matthew Drom­mel were also prom­i­nent.

Co­bras win through

An ex­plo­sive sec­ond half helped Cora Lynn book its place in the un­der 18s grand fi­nal.

Fac­ing a nar­row deficit at half time, the Co­bras scored seven goals to one in the sec­ond half to run away with it, 8-7 (55) to Phillip Is­land’s 3-3 (21).

Lewis Well­wood, Liam Tay­lor, Jay Vergha­gen, Levi Munns, Corey Bat­son and Taiki Skip­worth led a dom­i­nant sec­ond half.

Bull­dogs win tight one

Phillip Is­land ac­counted for Koo wee rup in a tight un­der 16s fi­nal, 6-2 (38) to 3-5 (23).

Five goals to one in the first quar­ter set up an unas­sail­able lead for the Bull­dogs, who made the most of bet­ter con­di­tions early.

The Demons worked their way back into the con­test, but were not helped by a turn in con­di­tions.

Bradley Ea­ger, Kalin Parker, Lach­lan McLeod, Matthew Voss, Ger­ard Gi­acco and Ja­son Stokkel en­sured the Demons would fight it out un­til the end.

Koo wee rup’s Ger­ard Gi­acco gets his kick away un­der pres­sure dur­ing Satur­day’s un­der 16s sec­ond semi fi­nal against Phillip Is­land.

Cora Lynn’s Levi Munns con­tests the ruck against Phillip Is­land op­po­nent Kane Pat­ter­son dur­ing the un­der 18s sec­ond semi fi­nal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.