Snapshot of the past
A photograph of the Warragul District Hospital c.1918.
This photograph captures a front view of the hospital with two men standing on the veranda. Note the garden in the foreground.
Originally built in 1888, it was not opened as a hospital until 1908.
In 1939, the new brick hospital was built and it was renamed West Gippsland Hospital.
An article in the West Gippsland Gazette gives a summary of the hospital’s annual meeting in 1918.
It stated the number of patients admitted for treatment had fallen off to 251 people. This followed 299 patients being admitted in the previous year.
The hospital closed the year £178 in credit. Total revenue was £2383 0s 4d, including £627 10s 1d raised at the hospital carnival.
Photograph and information courtesy of the Warragul and District Historical Society.
If you have any additional information about this photograph, please contact The Gazette on 5623 5666 or editorial@warragul gazette.com.au.
A photograph of a Buick decorated for a carnival to raise money for a new brick hospital in Landsborough Rd, Warragul.
Taken in Queen St, it captures Carnival Queen Ethel Batson in the car.
Ethel, her mother Annie Batson and future husband James Hill were life governors of the hospital for their fundraising efforts.
James Hill, together with fellow singers and musicians, held concert parties in the 1920s and 30s to raise money for the original hospital and later for the new hospital built in 1939.
Annie was the eldest daughter of John and Georgina Gallagher of “Hilltop” near Gallagher’s Crossing in Warragul.
This photograph was submitted to The Gazette by Neerim South resident Margery Price.