EDFL to investigate ugly under 16 melee
The Ellinbank District Football League board will conduct further investigations into an ugly melee at the end of the under 16 preliminary final at Longwarry on Saturday.
The Gazette understands an alleged strike from a Poowong player sparked the incident just before the full-time siren, with officials and spectators becoming involved.
While the Gazette understands that the Poowong player has taken a set penalty, it will be a nervous wait at tonight’s tribunal for the Warragul Industrials with the umpires putting an Industrials runner and player into the book.
EDFL operations manager Ken Moore said while the board of management had yet to meet to consider the incident, the board would issue a ‘please explain’ to both clubs as investigations continue.
“We’ll send a stern warning to all clubs that (good) behaviour is paramount,” he said.
“We’ll issue a reminder that we’re not happy with any misbehaviour, that they’re obligated to abide by the code of conduct and we don’t want to see a repeat.
“It could be that both clubs receive a suspended fine going into next year, but we’re still getting the facts.
“We’ll ask for a please explain from both clubs to find out what transpired and then evaluate it.”
Mr Moore said the melee had been an isolated incident in an otherwise successful finals series. “That’s been the only aberration,” he said. “With the exception of that incident everything has run like clockwork and gone really smoothly.
“The gates have been healthy, with each final about an $1000 increase on last season.”
Mr Moore said the board was looking forward to a successful grand final day on Saturday.
“With five teams participating and Poowong in the senior netball, there should be plenty of interest,” he said.