Elanora home lost to fire

Weekend Gold Coast Bulletin - - NEWS - AMANDA ROBBEMOND

A YOUNG cou­ple have been left dev­as­tated and fran­ti­cally search­ing for their three miss­ing cats af­ter a fire rav­aged their Elanora home last night.

Ryan Ham­mond, 24, and his girl­friend Michelle were out at a foot­ball match when they were told they had lost ev­ery­thing in the blaze just af­ter 7pm.

Mr Ham­mond’s mother, Yvonne Ham­mond, said it was the lat­est in­ci­dent in a string of bad luck for her son.

She said when Ryan was 16, he had been crushed by a tonne of glass in a ship­ping con­tainer.

“He was in a wheel­chair for 12 months and now this,” she said. “He couldn’t walk for over a year.”

Due to on­go­ing med­i­cal is­sues af­ter his fe­mur was snapped, Mr Ham­mond was also un­able to work un­til re­cently.

“He’s lost all of it, ev­ery­thing ex­cept for the shed,” Ms Ham­mond said.

“He’s got nowhere to live now. My son’s lost ev­ery­thing.”

While Mr Ham­mond’s pet staffy, Blue, was lucky to be plucked out of the Hol­brook Way yard by a quick-thinking by­s­tander as the blaze took hold, Mr Ham­mond’s three pet cats re­mained miss­ing.

Wil­low, Missy and Hunter are yet to be found.

Bilinga Fire Sta­tion Of­fi­cer Tracy Dunn said the en­tire roof of the house had col­lapsed dur­ing the blaze and firies wouldn’t know the cause of the fire un­til it was in­ves­ti­gated to­day.

“It’s de­stroyed,” he said of the house.

“Un­til we look in day­light, it’s re­ally dif­fi­cult to as­cer­tain where it started. It was to­tally in­volved when we got here.”

Wit­ness Micayla Cowan said she and her friends had been watch­ing an out­door movie put on by The Pines Elanora Sop­ping Cen­tre when they no­ticed the blaze.

“It was or­ange, the house was just up in smoke,” she said.

“It was crazy, it hap­pened so quickly.”

Queens­land Am­bu­lance Ser­vices op­er­a­tion su­per­vi­sor Stu­art Cu­ta­jar said they as­sessed three peo­ple, in­clud­ing a 48-year-old fe­male and a 43year-old se­cu­rity guard for smoke ex­po­sure.

A 26-year-old woman, be­lieved to be be­hind the res­cue of the dog, was seen to for an in­jury to the top of her foot, but she de­clined treat­ment. It is un­der­stood the woman jumped over the fence to res­cue the dog be­fore in­jur­ing her­self on the way out.

“It was pretty sore,” Mr Cu­ta­jar said. “We rec­om­mended she seek med­i­cal ad­vice.”

The woman said she would in­stead take her­self to the doc­tor for an as­sess­ment.

The scene re­mained guarded by po­lice overnight.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.