Queens­land dou­ble stab­bing

Mys­tery sur­rounds a dou­ble fa­tal­ity in the quiet Queens­land vil­lage of Alva Beach

WHO - - Content - By Amy Mills

SLEEP­ING ON THE COUCH OF HIS par­ents’ house in the sleepy coastal vil­lage of Alva Beach in North Queens­land in the early hours of Oct. 1, teenager Dean Web­ber’s life changed for­ever when a scream­ing and in­jured Candice Locke banged on his door af­ter be­ing chased by a group of men. “Don’t let them get me,’’ the 29-year-old RSPCA worker re­port­edly told Web­ber. “They’re bad peo­ple.”

Af­ter hid­ing the in­jured woman in his kitchen and call­ing triple-0, the 19-year-old locked the doors and win­dows, turned off the lights and cow­ered in the dark­ness. But af­ter some of the men al­legedly tore the door off its hinges and forced their way into his fam­ily home, the ter­ri­fied Air Force cadet picked up a small kitchen knife and put him­self be­tween Ms Locke and the in­trud­ers.

In the events that fol­lowed, lo­cal fa­ther-ofthree Corey Chris­tensen, 37, and Ms Locke’s re­ported long-dis­tance boyfriend Tom Davy, 27, were fa­tally stabbed, while a third man fled the scene. “If you saw it on a hor­ror film you’d scarcely be­lieve it. It’s like some­thing out of

Rom­per Stom­per,” a source told the Courier

Mail news­pa­per. “She’s a vic­tim, she’s done noth­ing wrong. He’s sit­ting at home alone and sud­denly is in this liv­ing hell. What is bizarre and un­ex­plained is why these men are so vi­ciously hunt­ing the two of them.’’

An in­jured Web­ber, an ap­pren­tice fit­ter at a nearby prawn farm, was taken into po­lice cus­tody but was re­leased with­out charge on Oct. 2, while Ms Locke, who un­der­went surgery for a dis­lo­cated shoul­der at Townsville Hospi­tal, is said to be in­con­solable.

Strug­gling to come to terms with the shock­ing in­ci­dent, a dev­as­tated Web­ber told

po­lice he watched the NRL grand fi­nal with friends and was asleep on the couch at his fam­ily home when he heard bang­ing on the front door shortly af­ter mid­night. He ini­tially “thought it was a ploy to get him to open the door for a home in­va­sion”, a source close to the in­ves­ti­ga­tion told the Courier Mail. How­ever, when he saw Locke, the daugh­ter of Townsville busi­ness­man and former Cow­boys star Martin Locke, beg­ging for help with a dis­lo­cated shoul­der, he ush­ered her in­side.

The brunette said she’d been at a grand fi­nal party at the beach next to the Ayr surf club a short dis­tance away and told Web­ber she had been “pushed off” a quad bike while rid­ing on the beach, as­saulted and chased by drunken men who wanted to stop her from seek­ing med­i­cal help. Web­ber, who had never met the men or Ms Locke, called for an am­bu­lance and was trans­ferred to Ayr Po­lice Sta­tion, where a solo po­lice of­fi­cer told him he was un­able to leave the sta­tion and to “see how it played out”.

The teenager re­di­alled triple-0 and left the line open, fol­low­ing the op­er­a­tor’s in­struc­tions to lock the doors and win­dows, pull down the blinds and turn off the lights. Web­ber told po­lice how he and Ms Locke cow­ered in the dark­ness while three men threat­ened the pair, bashed se­cu­rity screens and kicked the doors. They even­tu­ally left the scene but re­turned with up to seven men be­fore tear­ing off the screen door and forc­ing their way into the home. “We’ve got you now, you lit­tle p---k,’’ one man re­port­edly said as he grabbed the teen by the throat and threw him to the ground.

Ter­ri­fied, Web­ber “flailed about with the knife in the dark” to de­fend him­self and Ms Locke from the in­trud­ers. “He couldn’t see any­thing, so he didn’t know he had even stabbed any­body, let alone killed them, un­til he saw the blood on his hands later,” a source told The Aus­tralian. When po­lice ar­rived at the scene, they found the bod­ies of Davy and Chris­tensen out­side the home on Top­ton Street around 12.30am. A “psy­cho­log­i­cal mess”, Web­ber gave de­tec­tives a walk-through in­ter­view last week be­fore he was taken away by his fam­ily to a se­cret lo­ca­tion to re­cover from the hor­rific in­ci­dent, which has sent shock­waves through the sleepy north Queens­land fish­ing ham­let as the po­lice and the fam­i­lies of the dead men search for an­swers.

“We want to find an an­swer for the lov­ing peo­ple that have been killed and for what rea­son,” Chris­tensen’s heart­bro­ken widow and the mother of his three young sons, Jaye, said out­side Ayr Po­lice Sta­tion on Oct. 5. “Un­for­tu­nately not all the pieces are fall­ing into place and the an­swers for the truth of what ac­tu­ally hap­pened may be with Corey and Tom.” She added that her hus­band was a kind, gen­tle man. “Any­body who knew Corey loved him, our boys are so lucky to have the most amaz­ing dad any­body could wish for,” she said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.