Philarmonic Garden, green oasis in Baku
Philarmonic Garden, formerly known as the Governor´s Garden or Vahid Park, remains one of the most visited places in the capital city Baku.
Located next to the ancient part of Baku, the Old city, the park covers vast area.
The garden, which occupies an area of 4.6 hectares, was founded by the Baku commandant R.R.Foven in 1830. Commandant Foven obliged all merchants who arrived in Baku by sea to bring several cubic meters of fertile soil and seedlings. Thanks to this a large garden was created outside the Fortress Wall with rare exotic trees and shrubs.
Plants were brought from around much of the world – date palms, pistachio trees, acacias, olive trees, crack willow, ironwood, ash, cherry trees, camellias, pomegranate and quince trees. Figs and mulberries were brought from Arabia and Iran. A lush vineyard, where sesame and saffron grew, provided shade for the park.
Decorative plants were planted and at this time the garden had some 10,000 trees and 13,000 shrubs.
The park was first renovated in the 1970s and then further renovated in 2007 upon order of President Ilham Aliyev.
Fountain, pavilion and kiosks in the Garden were reconstructed. Characteristic plant cover of the garden was preserved and more attention was given to extend the greenery strip during the reconstruction stage. An original fountain exclusively designed by French “Inter Art” Company was constructed here for the first time in Baku.
Today, the Philarmonic Garden is a favorite place for both young and old people.