Five lesser-known facts about the Kings West election candidates
We asked our Kings West MLA candidates to put the political rhetoric aside for a moment and share five interesting facts about themselves. They happily obliged, offering both informative – and sometimes amusing – personal details.
Chris Palmer, PC
1. I love to golf (when I have the time). I got two hole-in-ones in the same round of golf on Aug 12, 1996 at Paragon Golf Club.
2. I was the Maritime Gospel Music Association Songwriter of the Year in 2015.
3. I love unplugging from the stresses of life with the kids at our cottage in Morden.
4. I appeared on the Canada’s Got Talent TV show.
5. I’ve been coaching kids’ basketball out of St Mary’s Elementary in Aylesford for the last six years.
Cheryl Burbidge, NDP
1. I have been a single mother on social assistance. I know what it is like to live on a small income, but I did have an advantage in the early ‘80s when community college tuition was free. That gave me an option to further my education for myself and my children.
2. 4-H leader for more than 15 years, leading the first aid, goat, chicken, and light horse projects. I was the president of Nova Scotia 4-H leaders council and sat on the Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture.
3. I showed cattle at the Annapolis Valley Exhibition with my daughter and son-in-law, who own Melvern Simmentals.
4. My husband and I are currently fostering an elderly diabetic dog for Misfit Manor.
5. As vice-president of CUPE 8920, area 3, I am on the health care bargaining team working to bargain the first ever collective agreement with four unions and the new Nova Scotia Health Authority.
1. We built 75 per cent of our home on Bishop Mountain Road with no power.
2. I’ve been known to belt out “You Ain’t Nothing but a Hound Dog.”
3. Ran the Boston Marathon – finished in top 900.
4. I was chased off property by a rooster while campaigning; leg attacked.
5. I missed eight days in over 25 years of teaching at West Kings.
Read five quirky facts about the Kings North candidates here:
Click on the name of the Kings West candidate to read profiles for Cheryl Burbidge, Leo Glavine and Chris Palmer.
Leo Glavine, Cheryl Burbidge and Chris Palmer are the Kings West MLA candidates for the May 30 election. Read the story below for some personal facts about each candidate.