Love for Lester

Fundraiser event, gofundme to help In­gle­wood man left home­less by fire


The daugh­ter of a man who lost his home to fire - and al­most ev­ery­thing he owned – is ask­ing for the com­mu­nity’s help.

Lester Jack­son’s home on In­gle­wood Road just north of Bridgetown caught fire late in the evening of June 3 and fire­fight­ers fought the stubborn blaze un­til past 3 a.m.

Kelly Amaro said her dad is a quiet guy who prob­a­bly wouldn’t ask for as­sis­tance.

While the four walls re­main, in­side is a flame-charred, wa­ter­sod­den mess. There’s not much that’s sal­vage­able and it will never be live­able again.

Any­thing that can be saved smells like smoke.

Lester Jack­son stood on his front lawn and watched as fire­fight­ers at­tempted to cut through the roof to get at the flames. Crews from four fire de­part­ments were on the scene, along with paramedics, po­lice, and Nova Sco­tia Power. Amaro said some won­der­ful peo­ple in the com­mu­nity are plan­ning an auction, bake sale, and en­ter­tain­ment fundraiser for June 16 at 7 p.m. at the Bridgetown Le­gion.

Amaro and her sib­lings have set up a gofundme page, and via the on­line ap­peal are hop­ing to raise $25,000 to help their father get on his feet again.

Any­one wish­ing to make a do­na­tion to the fundraiser in the form of items or baked goods can con­tact Krista-lynn Cald­well at 902-247-9956, or drop them off at The Mead­ows ARC. D’aubins Fam­ily Meats will be on hand sell­ing sausages with all pro­ceeds be­ing do­nated. And they’re putting a side of pork on the auction block.

Mone­tary do­na­tions can be made at Sco­tia­bank.

“Our father lost his home to a fire on June 3, 2018,” said Amaro on gofundme. “He’s ok. It’s dev­as­tat­ing. It was the fam­ily home. Our great-grand­mother raised her chil­dren there, as did my par­ents years later.”

Across from the church

The home stands just across the street from the church and across from Lester Jack­son’s brother Tim’s house. Like his brother, Tim Jack­son watched help­lessly as the house burned.

Elec­tri­cal wires had fallen across Lester Jack­son’s car and were later re­moved by NSP and the ve­hi­cle was moved farther away from the house as the fire­fight­ers worked.

The home, set back from the street, wasn’t new by any means. It was part of In­gle­wood go­ing back al­most two cen­turies.

“Although changes were made to it, the home has been a fix­ture in the com­mu­nity … for al­most 200 years,” Amaro said.

“Tough to think about for us all, and my dad es­pe­cially.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.