3 egg whites 1 tsp vanilla ¼ tsp cream of tartar 1 cup sugar optional: 1 oz. dark chocolate grated or ½ cup finely chopped nuts 1–2 cups whipping cream 3 cups fruit, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium until soft peaks form.
4. Gradually add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, and beat on high for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form and the sugar isn’t completely dissolved.
5. If making a chocolate or nut pavlova, gently fold in the grated chocolate/ finely chopped nuts.
6. Using a spoon or spatula, spread the mixture onto the baking sheet. Build the sides to be about 4.5 cm high (slightly higher than the centre).
7. Bake the shell for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven. Turn off the oven and leave the shell to dry for 1 hour or overnight. 8. Just before serving, whip the cream on high until stiffened. Spread over the meringue and top with desired fruit.