In­ves­ti­ga­tion con­tin­ues

P.E.I. man ac­cused of killing for­mer N.S. woman back in court next month

Cape Breton Post - - PROVINCE -

A P.E.I. man charged with the mur­der of a for­mer Nova Sco­tia woman will re­turn to court in Au­gust.

Joel Lawrence Clow of Pleas­ant Grove was not in pro­vin­cial court as de­fence lawyer Thane MacEach­ern asked for an ad­journ­ment to re­view ma­te­rial re­lated to the case.

“There is a lot of ma­te­rial to process,” said Crown pros­e­cu­tor Va­lerie Moore.

Judge Nancy Orr set the next court date for Aug. 19.

Clow, a 46-year-old fish­er­man, was charged with mur­der af­ter RCMP dis­cov­ered a woman’s body in a wooded area on Fri­day.

Clow also faces a charge of in­de­cently interfering with hu­man re­mains. He re­mains in jail and is also fac­ing other charges not re­lated to the mur­der.

RCMP will not re­lease the vic­tim’s name, cit­ing the fed­eral polic­ing agency’s new na­tional pol­icy. How­ever, news out­lets are re­port­ing that fam­ily has con­firmed the vic­tim as 40year-old Traci Lynch, for­merly of Pic­tou, who was liv­ing in Tra­cadie, P.E.I., not far from Pleas­ant Grove.

On Mon­day, po­lice con­tin­ued to work at the crime scene in Pleas­ant Grove. Po­lice tape re­mained up pre­vent­ing ac­cess to the prop­erty, a uni­formed RCMP of­fi­cer guarded the scene and other of­fi­cers were on the prop­erty mak­ing notes.

Neigh­bours did not want their names pub­lished, but told the Guardian news­pa­per that the mur­der hap­pened around mid­night, ei­ther later Thurs­day or very early Fri­day.

That in­ves­ti­ga­tion left the road closed from Fri­day af­ter­noon to late Satur­day evening, while an au­topsy was also com­pleted in Hal­i­fax, Satur­day af­ter­noon.

“No other in­for­ma­tion is avail­able about the de­ceased at this time,” said po­lice in re­gards to the au­topsy.

While RCMP Sgt. Leanne But­ler con­firmed the sus­pect and vic­tim were known to each other, RCMP have not re­leased de­tails on ther re­la­tion­ship.

Clow is not a stranger to po­lice af­ter be­ing sen­tenced in 2011 to 10 months in jail for vi­o­lence to­ward his spouse. He was also placed on three years pro­ba­tion, or­dered to pro­vide a DNA sam­ple and faced a 10year weapons pro­hi­bi­tion.

His ar­rest in 2011 was cov­ered by media when it cul­mi­nated in a three-hour stand­off with po­lice in Cove­head.

This in­ves­ti­ga­tion has in­cluded the RCMP mo­bile com­mand post, foren­sic iden­ti­fi­ca­tion staff, a po­lice dog unit and nu­mer­ous of­fi­cers.

“For­tu­nately, these type of tragic in­ci­dents don’t oc­cur here very of­ten and we are in­ves­ti­gat­ing to the best of our abil­ity,” But­ler said dur­ing an in­ter­view on Satur­day.

“They’ll hold the scene un­til ev­ery­thing is com­pleted. The in­ves­ti­ga­tion and foren­sic team is still there and work­ing on it. Once they have it com­pleted, they’ll re­lease the scene.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.