Find out how the Scream­ing Ea­gles did at Cen­tre 200 Fri­day night.

Scream­ing Ea­gles beat league-lead­ing Sea Dogs in over­time

Cape Breton Post - - CAPE BRETON - BY JEREMY FRASER jeremy.fraser@cb­

Never count the Cape Bre­ton Scream­ing Ea­gles out of a game.

The lo­cal ma­jor ju­nior team trailed the league-lead­ing Saint John Sea Dogs 2-0 in the third pe­riod, be­fore storm­ing back to score two power play goals to tie the game late in the pe­riod, and even­tu­ally de­feat the Sea Dogs 3-2 in over­time.

Scream­ing Ea­gles de­fence­man Ross MacDougall was proud of his team’s ef­fort in the come­back win.

“I thought we played well all game — (Cal­lum) Booth was hav­ing a great game for them, and we knew we had to get shots on him,” said MacDougall.

Cape Bre­ton had a num­ber of power play op­por­tu­ni­ties, be­fore cash­ing in on two, in­clud­ing one on a five-minute ma­jor to Saint John’s Thomas Chabot.

MacDougall gave credit to the Sea Dogs penalty kill.

“It’s best in the league, so it took us a while to fig­ure it out, but when we needed to score the most, we did,” said MacDougall.

Saint John opened the scor­ing early in the game as Sa­muel Dove-McFalls’ cen­tre­ing pass bounced off Matt Green’s skate and found the back of the net to give the Sea Dogs a 1-0 lead 29 sec­onds into the first pe­riod.

The Sea Dogs ex­tended the lead in the sec­ond pe­riod with Mira’s Cole Regi­nato scor­ing his sev­enth goal of the sea­son, deke­ing Cape Bre­ton’s Kyle Jes­si­man at the 11 minute mark of the mid­dle stanza.

Things got in­ter­ested around the mid­way mark of the third pe­riod with Gio­vanni Fiore pick­ing up a 10-minute mis­con­duct for un­sports­man­like con­duct. Just over a minute later, Chabot was given a five-minute ma­jor for check­ing to the head of Cape Bre­ton’s Yan­nik Ber­trand, who left the game, but re­turned min­utes later.

MacDougall started the come­back for the Scream­ing

Ea­gles as his point shot fooled Booth on the power play to make the score 2-1. Cape Bre­ton tied the game with Leon Gawanke’s one-timer find­ing the back of the net on the power play at 18:01 of the fi­nal frame.

In over­time, Fiore, re­turn­ing to the game af­ter serv­ing a mis­con­duct, gave the Scream­ing Ea­gles the ex­tra point by tip­ping a Phélix Martineau shot past Booth for his league­lead­ing 47th goal of the sea­son, lead­ing Cape Bre­ton to the win.

Jes­si­man made 25 saves for Cape Bre­ton, im­prov­ing his record to 17-16-2-2. Booth stopped 19 of 22 shots for Saint John, his record fall­ing to 25-12-2-1.

Scream­ing Ea­gles head coach and gen­eral man­ager Mar­cAn­dre Du­mont said the win was con­nected di­rectly to the team’s char­ac­ter.

“It’s not the first time we’ve come from be­hind,” he said. “This group of play­ers have learned to never give up and never giv­ing up is a skill, it doesn’t just fall from the sky, you have to work on it.”

De­spite trail­ing go­ing into the third pe­riod, Du­mont said the mes­sage in the room was to just keep play­ing.

“We knew that de­fen­sively we were do­ing a fairly good job — we didn’t give a lot of shots, we didn’t give a lot of scor­ing chances in the first two pe­ri­ods,” he said. “We just kept our game plan go­ing.”

Cape Bre­ton will have five days off be­fore they re­turn to game ac­tion on Thurs­day, host­ing for­mer Scream­ing Ea­gle Pierre-Luc Dubois and the Blainville-Bois­briand Ar­mada. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. at Cen­tre 200.

Game Notes: Fri­day’s game marked the 300th ca­reer Que­bec Ma­jor Ju­nior Hockey League con­test for Cape Bre­ton’s Olivier Le­Blanc and Gio­vanni Fiore; Saint John’s Julien Gau­thier and Matthew High­more both missed the game with re­spec­tive in­juries.


Vasily Glo­tov, right, of the Cape Bre­ton Scream­ing Ea­gles, swats at the puck as goal­tender Cal­lum Booth of the Saint John Sea Dogs watches. Cape Bre­ton won the game 3-2 in over­time.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.