Must-see events for Pride 2017
With so much to do at this year’s Pride Festival, here’s a list of some events you don’t want to miss:
1. Dabbing Out Bingo Madness: It is back and one of the most loved events at Pride. Hosted by Mrs. Stewart and Mrs. Murphy, you are guaranteed to laugh until your sides hurt while you dab away at your card.
When: Sunday, Aug. 6 Where: Membertou Trade and Convention Centre
Cost: $10/person, $5/extra book
Time: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
2. A Human Library: A story circle with a twist. Speakers will be talking about their experiences in the LGBTQ community and some of the struggles and successes they’ve had.
When: Wednesday, Aug. 9 Where: McConnell Library Cost: Free
Time: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Age: All ages
3. Revved Up: A night of fabulous drag performance featuring Roxxxy Andrews, from RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 5. It’s hosted by Haus of Jeckyll, who have been performing all over Nova Scotia and doing regular shows at Casino Nova Scotia in Sydney.
When: Saturday, Aug. 5 Where: Allure on George Cost: $25
Time: 9:30 p.m. – close Ages: 19+
4. Party Outside & Rainbow Market: Fun for the family and hosted by the Divas, the vendor market has lots of amazing items from local artisans and delicious food. At 1 p.m. the market kicks it up a notch with the after party for the Pride parade so you can mingle with your favourite people from the floats. There will be a DJ providing music and drag queens and kings doing family-friendly performances.
When: Saturday, Aug. 5 Where: Open Hearth Park Cost: Free
Time: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Ages: All Ages
5. Drake Jensen in concert: The openly gay country singer is hitting the stage at Casino Nova Scotia with songs and stories of his struggles growing up gay in Cape Breton. Drake will perform some songs with Rouge Fatale who’ll also be performing as Mrs. Stewart. Magician Carmen Giorno is also on the bill and $10 from each ticket is being donated to the new e-service/virtual care pilot project for mental health and addictions.
When: Tuesday, Aug. 8 Where: Casino Nova Scotia Cost: $25 at www.eventbrite. ca
Time: 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Eden Disorder will be one of the drag performers at this year’s Pride Festival.