Man, 21, shows re­morse over killing his friend

Edmonton Journal - - CITY - PAIGE PAR­SONS ppar­sons@post­ Twit­­sons

The par­ents of an Ed­mon­ton teenager killed just over a year ago have left their son’s bed­room un­touched as they strug­gle to cope with his loss, court heard Tues­day.

Christo­pher Fawcett, 19, died af­ter be­ing stabbed by his friend Con­nor Miller on the evening of Oct. 22, 2016.

Court heard Miller, 21, was high on LSD when he stabbed Fawcett. The young men were with a third friend near the Al­fred H. Sav­age Cen­tre at 13204 Fox Dr. when the stab­bing hap­pened, po­lice said.

Af­ter ini­tially be­ing charged with sec­ond-de­gree mur­der, Miller pleaded guilty to man­slaugh­ter. Dur­ing sen­tenc­ing sub­mis­sions Tues­day, Crown pros­e­cu­tor Marty Gilling­wa­ter asked for an eight- to 10-year prison term, while de­fence lawyer Rod Gre­gory ar­gued for be­tween four and six years.

In a court­room packed with fam­i­lies and friends of both the vic­tim and killer, Fawcett’s mother, Wendy Fawcett, read a state­ment about be­ing un­able to re­cover from the loss.

Her son was a pro­tec­tor and best friend to his twin brother, who has autism, she said. The brother still goes to Fawcett’s room seek­ing com­fort. She also has a younger son, who is still un­able to speak about Fawcett.

Court heard Fawcett was a happy young man, with an “un­for­get­table smile” and a great sense of hu­mour.

But re­mem­ber­ing Fawcett’s kind heart and will­ing­ness to be­friend any­one has be­come a source of grief for his fa­ther.

“Chris might still be here if he wasn’t as nice of a per­son as he was,” Mark Fawcett said.

He said he still doesn’t un­der­stand why Miller took his son’s life: “He stole him from the world.”

Miller wept as Fawcett’s par­ents ad­dressed the court.

When the judge gave Miller an op­por­tu­nity to speak, he turned to ad­dress his vic­tim’s fam­ily.

“What else can I say other than I’m so sorry I took Chris away from you,” he said.

His lawyer, Rod Gre­gory, said when po­lice ar­rived at the scene, it took 12 of­fi­cers to sub­due Miller. He said his client be­lieved he was be­ing at­tacked by mon­sters and zom­bies, and he spent nine days in Al­berta Hos­pi­tal af­ter be­ing ar­rested.

Though a de­ci­sion on sen­tenc­ing was re­served un­til Dec. 1, Miller was taken into cus­tody af­ter in­form­ing the court he didn’t wish to seek a con­tin­u­a­tion of his bail.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.