CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES
Makes: 4 dozen
1 cup (250 mL) flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) packed golden brown sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) peppermint extract
Chocolate peppermint glaze (recipe follows)
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Using low speed, beat in egg and peppermint extract until blended.
2. Gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined. Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Remove one disc of dough from refrigerator.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. Using a floured 2-inch (5-cm) cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining disc of dough.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until cookies are firm around edges. Let cookies stand for 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets and cool cookies completely on racks.
6. Spread with chocolate peppermint glaze. Let stand until glaze is set. Store, layered with wax paper, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen.
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT GLAZE
1/4 cup (60 mL) whipping
3 oz (86 g) chopped dark
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
2 tsp (10 mL) white corn syrup ■
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) peppermint
1. Combine whipping cream, chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in corn syrup and peppermint extract. Makes: 3 dozen
1 cup (250 mL) butter
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
3 1/2 cups (875 mL) flour
2 tsp (10 mL) cream of tartar ■
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
1. Cream butter. Add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
2. Combine dry ingredients. Add gradually to creamed mixture. Chill dough 3-4 hours.
3. Roll on well-floured surface to 1/8-1/4-inch (3-6-mm) thickness. Cut into desired shapes.
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 F (190 C) for 8 minutes or until light golden. Cool slightly; remove to racks.