Look­ing for heroes

Tay­lor fam­ily wants to find peo­ple who helped save their daugh­ter 21 years ago

Journal Pioneer - - FRONT PAGE - BY DAVE STE­WART

Mary Tay­lor will never for­get the ter­ror that came over her 21 years ago when she re­al­ized her daugh­ter wasn’t breath­ing.

Mary Tay­lor will never for­get the ter­ror that came over her 21 years ago when she re­al­ized her daugh­ter wasn’t breath­ing. Tay­lor was driv­ing to their home in Free­town from Char­lot­te­town, with her 11-day-old girl and her sis­ter-in-law, Wendy, when she re­al­ized some­thing was ter­ri­bly wrong. Tay­lor re­mem­bers ex­actly where it hap­pened and when. They were on Route 2 just out­side Spring­vale on July 27, 1997. “It was ab­so­lute ter­ror,’’ Mary said. “I was in the back­seat with her, so I no­ticed that she just wasn’t be­hav­ing nor­mally. I wiped her face with a cloth and she didn’t move. It was a hot day and I was try­ing to cool her down. “Then, I started do­ing the flick­ing and pinch­ing (thing) and try­ing to get her to move and that’s when I no­ticed her lips were a lit­tle blue. That’s when I started yelling at my sis­ter-in-law to pull over. It was ter­ri­fy­ing, ab­so­lutely ter­ri­fy­ing. It was def­i­nitely a lifechang­ing mo­ment.’’ Wendy started per­form­ing ar­ti­fi­cial res­pi­ra­tion on Emma while Mary at­tempted to flag down mo­torists on the high­way. Quickly, two ve­hi­cles pulled over. Mary be­lieves one woman was a nurse but knows she def­i­nitely had med­i­cal train­ing. “She knew what she was do­ing. She started do­ing some ar­ti­fi­cial res­pi­ra­tion on her as well, check­ing her pulse and did some other first aid.’’ The other ve­hi­cle that stopped was with an older cou­ple from Kens­ing­ton who of­fered to drive them to the Queen El­iz­a­beth Hospi­tal “be­cause now we had a lit­tle group of peo­ple and we only had a car’’. The nurse con­tin­ued to check on Emma’s vi­tals, telling Mary that she was get­ting a re­ally low pulse to com­fort the anx­ious mother. “It wasn’t un­til we got to the hospi­tal ... and laid her on a gur­ney that Emma started to cry. At that mo­ment, I was able to breathe again.’’ Now, Emma and her par­ents, Mary and Shawn, who live in Westville, N.S., want to find the peo­ple who stopped to help that day. “It was such an over­whelm­ing time that I never got any­one’s names other than very mi­nor de­tails about who they were,’’ said Mary. Emma Tay­lor told The Guardian that she’s al­ways had the in­ci­dent in the back of her mind. “I want to meet these peo­ple,” Emma said. “Not only did they save my life, but they also saved my par­ents. I know that if I had died that day it would have com­pletely ru­ined them and I’m not sure my younger sis­ter, Grace, would ex­ist be­cause of the loss that they would have gone through.’’ Af­ter many tests and con­sul­ta­tions with spe­cial­ists, it was de­ter­mined the most likely cause of Emma’s un­re­spon­sive­ness was that she had suf­fered a SIDS (Sud­den In­fant Death Syn­drome) event that was some­how caught and re­versed by ev­ery­one in­volved. “I am grate­ful and truly thank­ful to ev­ery­one in­volved that day,” said Emma. The fam­ily is now reach­ing out through so­cial me­dia and the me­dia to try to find the peo­ple who helped out that fate­ful day to thank them. They thought about do­ing it a year ago on the 20th an­niver­sary, but time got away from them. “We thought about it from their point of view,” Mary said. “If we were ever in­volved in some­thing like that we would like to know what the rest of the story was. We’d like them to know that she’s good and won­der­ful and grew up to be a won­der­ful young lady.” Emma is in her last year in the bach­e­lor of sci­ence pro­gram at UPEI and will move to Dalhousie next year to take her masters. Her goal is to go into oc­cu­pa­tional ther­apy. Any­one who has any in­for­ma­tion as to the iden­tity of the peo­ple who helped out that day is asked to email the fam­ily at abbi1996@ gmail.com or call 902-396-1499 or reach out to Shawn on Face­book.


Shawn and Mary Tay­lor are ask­ing for the pub­lic’s help in track­ing down the peo­ple who helped save the life of their 21-year-old daugh­ter, Emma, right, when she was just 11 days old. The fam­ily wants to thank them and meet them. Also pic­tured is Emma’s younger sis­ter, Grace.


Emma, 11 days old, is pic­tured at the Queen El­iz­a­beth Hospi­tal af­ter ex­pe­ri­enc­ing Sud­den In­fant Death Syn­drome. The fam­ily is now try­ing to track down the peo­ple who helped tosave Emma’s life.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.