Mosque killer wanted more vic­tims: re­port

Lethbridge Herald - - HEADLINE NEWS -

The man who mur­dered six Mus­lim men in 2017 told a so­cial worker sev­eral months af­ter the killings that he wished there had been more vic­tims, ev­i­dence tabled in court Mon­day in­di­cated.

In her re­port tabled by the Crown, so­cial worker Guy­laine Cay­ou­ette said Alexan­dre Bis­son­nette told her he had idol­ized se­rial killers since his ado­les­cence and he wanted to make a splash of his own.

“I re­gret not hav­ing killed more peo­ple,” Bis­son­nette re­port­edly said in Septem­ber 2017, eight months af­ter he en­tered a Que­bec City mosque and shot dead six men fol­low­ing evening prayers. “The vic­tims are in the sky and I’m liv­ing in hell.”

Cay­ou­ette’s re­port was en­tered as ev­i­dence dur­ing sen­tenc­ing ar­gu­ments for Bis­son­nette, who pleaded guilty last month to six charges of first-de­gree mur­der and six of at­tempted mur­der in the shoot­ing.

She had met Bis­son­nette on the re­quest of a nurse, who said he had not been feel­ing well. Cay­ou­ette noted that as soon as the 28-year-old en­tered her of­fice in the Que­bec City prison, he be­gan to cry.

The so­cial worker added Bis­son­nette also told her, “I wanted glory.”

Also Mon­day, Ay­men Der­bali, who lost the use of his legs in the shoot­ing, tes­ti­fied in court.

He was the first of Bis­son­nette’s vic­tims to take the stand.

Der­bali, who is con­fined to a wheel­chair, said he was con­fig­ur­ing his son’s tele­vi­sion on Jan. 29, 2017, when he re­al­ized he was likely go­ing to be late for 7:30 p.m. prayers.

He said he hes­i­tated a bit, and then de­cided to go to the mosque.

Der­bali, a fa­ther of three, had just en­tered the mosque when he heard gun­shots. “I was the clos­est one,” he told the court. He said he was hit in the leg and fell to the floor.

Der­bali, 41, said he tried to crawl and stop the shooter, but then Bis­son­nette blasted him.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.