MAN CON­VICTED OF MUR­DER IN HOME EX­PLO­SION

National Post (Latest Edition) - - WORLD -

An In­di­ana man was con­victed of mur­der, ar­son and in­sur­ance fraud Wed­nes­day for his role in a 2012 house ex­plo­sion that killed two neigh­bours and dev­as­tated a sub­di­vi­sion in In­di­anapo­lis. Pros­e­cu­tors said sur­veil­lance video, wit­ness tes­ti­mony and DNA ev­i­dence proved Bob Leonard, 57, was in­volved in the plot with his half brother and oth­ers to use nat­u­ral gas and a mi­crowave to blow up the house for US$300,000 in in­sur­ance. The judge later ruled ag­gra­vat­ing fac­tors were suf­fi­cient for Leonard to face a max­i­mum sen­tence of life in prison with­out pa­role. His sen­tenc­ing hear­ing is set for March 18. “It closes one more piece in the tragedy. It helps with putting the night­mare be­hind us some,” said John Long­worth, whose son and daugh­ter-in-law lived next door and were killed in the ex­plo­sion. The ver­dict was a re­lief, but “there’s noth­ing for us to be happy about. It’s all sad.” Last year, Leonard’s half brother, Mark Leonard, was con­victed of be­ing the mas­ter­mind be­hind the Nov. 10, 2012 ex­plo­sion that dam­aged or de­stroyed more than 80 homes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.